Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching and didn't come up with much so I'm asking here...

I just replaced the front brake pads on the 250 and for some reason they are still squishy and don't stop like they should. My brake fluid is full and it isn't discolored at all either...Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Bleed the brakes. Squishy feel usually means air in the lines somewhere.

What pads did you get? Depending on type, they may also need more heat to work well, but that shouldn't really give you a soft lever.

Chances are bleeding will do it.

Jay

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are EBC brakes. Don't remember exactly which ones... The lever is pretty firm, but they don't actually stop me very well. they work better at faster speeds, but when I am coming to a stop at a slow speed I have to use the rear brake a lot and use my legs to stop me too...

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
How many miles have you done on the pads? They might feel squishy because they have't bedded in properly yet.
Give the lines a bleed though to get any air out, if they still feel squishy it might be the pads breaking in (depending on mileage).

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
give 'em about another 100 miles to bed in firmly (depending on how aggressively you brake). Bedding is where the new pad conforms to the old rotor's wear mark and is able to make full contact. Happens faster on all new rotors and pads because they're both much smoother.

Check your front rotor for glaze and service limit. At it's thinnest point, it shouldn't be thinner than 4.5mm. Ridiculous I know, only .5mm of metal to shave before a new pricey rotor, but eh, what can you do?!

·
Registered
674 Posts
It may be the pads. I haven't heard great things about EBC pads for the street. Most of the trusted reviews I've seen (and forum comments) have said that Vesrah RJL pads are a better choice for the street.

Jay

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Spooph, will see what happens. I try not to hit them too hard as I don't want the pads to glaze over...Oh, I know what "bedding" is... too bad I don't have anything to measure those kind of measurements...and I don't know how to convert...lol

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I have a set of reasonable caliper from harbor freight I use. Been wanting to get something more serious... Want to buy mine?

jkv45, I really need to try some Vesrah RJL pads.. I also hope you're getting sponsored by them with how much advertising you're doing with them. :p /razzin

I have always been happy with the EBC stock replacement and HH pads for the 250.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.