Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching but it seems no one here changed their rear sprocket to one with more teeth? Correct me if i am wrong...

If someone did...how many teeth? and what was your result?

These bikes aren't all too peppy when you get out on the highway so i figure I may as well just give myself some more torque so i can have more fun in lower speed areas and say to hell with top speed. (which I managed to set a new record for my self today actually- i hit about 163 or 164 on down hill slope on the highway. what are your guys' highest speeds you've hit?)

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
I think -1 in the front and +1 in the rear would be fun.

It would drop your top speed to 150kph max, but give you over 16% more torque I think. However, I'm wondering what 1st would be like, jeez it would be short.

On my bike I'm going -1/+5 so I'll be redlining 6th as I pass the 1/4mile. My top speed will be limited to 210 from 260ish.

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright im not sure i completely understand all this.

so if -1/+1 would make my first gear really short, how does -1/+5 not make yours even shorter?

and do you need to change front and back? could you just change one more drastically?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Cossit, What is your current gear set up?

Here's a little info if you're considering changing sprockets.
Stock is 14/ 45= 3.21 ratio
going 1 tooth larger on the rear changes the ratio to 3.29. Not a real big jump.
2 teeth.. 3.36
3 teeth.. 3.42

Changing to a bigger rear sprocket will give you a little more torque but remember you still have to twist the throttle more to get the full affect.

As far as hwy pep goes, the Ninja by far has the most hwy pep of any 250cc bike that is hwy drivable. Geaing is what makes the difference. A 14/ 45 gear set up does not take full advantage of the power and torque of the engine for the hwy. Anyone that has done a bigger front and smaller rear sproket change can testify to the fact.

Now back to a bigger rear. If you are going to use the bike for stunting, a bigger rear sprocket is the thing. Just keep in mind that your wheel will move forward on the swingarm w/ the original chain. Would not recommend bigger than a 48 tooth. Also cruising rpm's will be really high and probably not too enjoyable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha thanks spooph. when he said his top speed went down from 260 to 210, i thought he he made a typo and meant down from 160 to 110! thats why i was a bit confused there.

blue ghost- as of current its stock, i really want to change that though. i can get everywhere i need to go with out going on the high way so i'm not too concerned about high rpm while cruising. its not that big of an investment anyway so if i get bored of it ill just switch back.
now...i dont really want to say i want to use my bike for stunting but if i could afford to risk damaging my bike i probably would. I have pulled my share of wheelies though...just not very high off the ground.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Cossitt, you're welcome!

I think I'm understanding you correctly, but you might want to swap the front from 14 to 15, and give it a shot. It's a $15 test, and you might find what you're looking for. I know it's backwards, but as Ghost said, the stock gearing really doesn't use the torque of the engine, and if you go shorter still, you'll just be exacerbating that trait. If you go taller, by going to the 15, you'll get to use more of the engine's power in the appropriate places, and it might actually give you what you were looking for. Just saying, worth a shot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your beginning to change my mind a bit... I kind of want to get a front and rear sprocket both with more teeth now and try them out individually depending on the kind of riding i'm feeling at a given time.

now if i went with say, 14/48, what kind of acceleration would i be looking at? i mean like just around the city playing around between stop lights and what not. would it almost pick up the front tire in the power band of first?...or am i just dreaming here...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
14/48 = Nice acceleration, super quick thru the gears, no instant wheelies without high revs and a little clutch popping.
15/ 42 or 43 = nice all around performance, reduced cruising rpms, better mpg, will still have decent accel above 4k with just a little more twist on the throttle.

If you think 14/45 is boring, 14/48 will get old quick. You may be starting in 2nd gear a lot.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I agree with Ghost, going to 14/48 will mean you don't need to use first, and that if you'd want to do wheelies (unless you wanna get good at shifting between 1st and 2nd while the front wheel is up), you'd have to start in 2nd, so you'd only be sacrificing 1st....

On the other hand, if this were intended as a stunt bike, do the 14/48 and enjoy the wheelies below 8mph... like rezza. :p

Unfortunately, although being capable of wheelies, this is not the 250's territory, you'd be better off going to a bigger bike for such things (not to mention the weight benefits - remember Newton's first law of motion).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really don't know what I'm looking for anymore. I think in my head I decided I could make my gears short as hell and have something that would have acceleration close to that of a 600 and would be a blast to drive around the city and beat any car off the line until about 70 kph...(I mean fast cars, I know the ninja is a bit quicker than all your average ones)

Ps: I feel like I sound like some reckless hooligan with all this talk about wheelies and racing. I really don't ride my bike hard too often though. I'm sure everyone likes to have a bit of fun every now and again though right?

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.