Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I presume going smaller at the rear will increase the top end cos the rpm is lower than stock at any given speed... although it might take longer to reach top end but I'm a patient guy.... only wished I had the nerves to go all out.... I will be changing the rear soon... wish me luck guys.... cheers and safe riding..

·
Registered
56 Posts
R6 is right the front wheel does go faster, its simple smaller tire on the front means the front goes faster, kawasaki's specs on wheel travel FRONT-120mm REAR- 130mm so u do the math front tire is smaller so its going to travel faster

·
Registered
58 Posts
Even if the tires were different diameters, the speedo is driven from the front wheel, and "calibrated" to the size of the front wheel. (Quotes because of the 10%-ish high side error that seems to be present)

·
Registered
267 Posts
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=359&content=specifications

Checked the kawi site for tire size specs...so here's the info.

Front tire 110/70 17
Rear tire 130/70 17

The first number (110 and 130 respectively) designates the width of the tires.

The second number (70 on both) is the aspect ratio of the tires. This as a measure of the sidewall height measured as a percentage of the tire width.

70% of 110 = 77mm
70% of 130 = 91mm

The last number is the rim diameter- 17" both front and rear.

With this information you can calculate the circumference: C = pi*D
1 inch = 2.54 cm = 25.4mm..... 17 inches = 431.8mm

Front tire C = 431.8 + (77*2) (front tire aspect ratio)* pi = 1839.41mm
Rear tire C = 431.8 + (91*2) (rear tire aspect ratio)* pi = 1927.33mm

....so when the front tire has made 1 revolution, the rear tire still has about 87.9mm to go before it makes 1 revolution. So the front tire does indeed rotate faster than the rear tire. Sorry about the long post, I do have a life ha...just bored and wanted to verify this answer for myself.

·
Registered
633 Posts
dang kitten chill out bro hahaha just dont reply and leave it as is i still think it does change your speedo i agree with jester just debating

headhunta252 said:
R6 is right the front wheel does go faster, its simple smaller tire on the front means the front goes faster, kawasaki's specs on wheel travel FRONT-120mm REAR- 130mm so u do the math front tire is smaller so its going to travel faster
thanks man!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Jester, there is one way to get the front wheel to spin significantly less than the rear wheel..... By riding a wheely for a while.. Then you could honestly say: "Officer, my speedo is correct, and it said I was going 20"... And then he'd say: "OK, fine, but you're still getting a ticket for reckless driving you damned hooligan!!!" - 8 points

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.