Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what tips and tricks any experienced riders have for myself. I've been taking my girlfriend around town occasionally on the back of my 250r and no matter what we do, one of us seems to be suffering from discomfort.

i did a quick google search a few weeks ago and all that it came up with was that she needs to put her hands on the gas tank to keep from sliding forward while stopping (which did help A LOT). She used to ride my scooter with me all the time and we never had any problems, but the bitch seat on the ninja is just... an elevated coochie pad it seems and it's causing all sorts of problems.

i don't feel fully in control while at lower speeds and one of us always finds ourself uncomfortable... what do i do!?!? it's making her not want to ride.

·
Registered
307 Posts
when i had my 2002 250 i had a few passengers that never rode a bike before so i gave them a few pointers like lean when i lean and dont move around quickly but most importantly is for us drivers to take your time dont brake too hard or gun the throttle quickly.just give them a nice ride and remember to adjust your rear spring load it makes a big difference.i also seen some passenger bars that affix to your tankring that might help too.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
The 250R is always going to be an uncomfortable bike for 2up riding.
It has small pillion seat slightly elevated compared to the main seat which makes the pillion ride higher affecting the centre of gravity of the bike.
Not being a very powerful bike means it will struggle for acceleration even if you and your gf are lightweights.
The rear shock would not have the same carrying capacity as a more touring orientated bike like my Ninja 650R for example, so bumps in the road will be more noticable even if the preload on the shock is on it's highest setting.
To make it easier for you and your gf, practice more of the slow speed manuvering in a carpark etc with her on the back. Talk to each other regarding what feels good and what doesn't. Find a happy medium. Communication is very important between a rider and passenger.
In regards to your gf placing her hands on the tank, try looking at the special grip below.

Something like this may help her with confidence. There are many places that can supply something like this, there is also a special belt that the rider can wear with handles built in, but her weight will all be on you.
Hope that helps, but if you have any more questions, just let me know!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tell her to get her own fckin bike....:whistling::whistling::whistling:
she does want a cruiser, but i do not trust her on one and will not allow it until i get her to improve her skills with a mere bicycle. I only taught her to ride a bicycle a year or two ago, and we haven't spent much time on the bicycles improving her skills with a toy before taking a 400 pound machine down the street.

also, she complains that i need to lean forward more when i have her on the back, which i do. but my back gets tired fairly quickly with her leaning on it even though the bike's center of gravity is lower and it helps me feel more in control. Should i just toughen up my back?... or is this a nono. i feel very cramped when i lean forward too far with her leaning on me

oh.. and she'll probably end up getting a scooter instead for puttin around town. i doubt her parents would let her get a motorcycle (we both still live with our parents while going to college)

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
she does want a cruiser, but i do not trust her on one and will not allow it until i get her to improve her skills with a mere bicycle. I only taught her to ride a bicycle a year or two ago, and we haven't spent much time on the bicycles improving her skills with a toy before taking a 400 pound machine down the street.

also, she complains that i need to lean forward more when i have her on the back, which i do. but my back gets tired fairly quickly with her leaning on it even though the bike's center of gravity is lower and it helps me feel more in control. Should i just toughen up my back?... or is this a nono. i feel very cramped when i lean forward too far with her leaning on me

oh.. and she'll probably end up getting a scooter instead for puttin around town. i doubt her parents would let her get a motorcycle (we both still live with our parents while going to college)
Kinda sounds like ur between a rock n a hard spot to me.
Maybe u need to go cruiser 4 now so u'll both be comfy?
Must be some sporty cruisers out there that'd make u happy 4 now?
:whistling::whistling:

Maybe a Vulcan 900?

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Or maybe get a new gfriend who has her own bike. Lol. Honestly not everyone is cut out for biking, I mean, and no offence, she has just learned to ride bicycle ,how old is she?
Think he said 10.....LOL,,,,Joking....:whistling::whistling:
N......I like ur idea.... New boyfriend.....:whistling::whistling:
I ment girlfriend.....:dance::dance::dance:

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
The reason I bought a Ninja.....:thumb::thumb:
Wanted the Off n on kinda thing like i always drove before, but....:whistling:
Not much dirt roads here...so went sporty kinda bike made for the taaaaa....:thumb::thumb:
Do'nt like riding double....well ok for the short give the thin chic a ride.:thumb:, but that's bout it.....
I like the sportbike handling..:thumb:....fuel mileage is great...:thumb:.. 650 and above will put a smile on my face...:thumb:...Riding double will suck for passengers...:thumb:...so i don't have to do it long...:thumb:
Plenty of chics out there with they're own bikes to ride with if u want...:thumb:

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Seriously I don't like having a passenger ,it's uncomfortable,just plain stresses me out.brought my girlfriend for a couple rides,she enjoyed it, I did not.
I'll bring the wife 4 short rides.....hour around the block or so......:whistling:
N i'll give the occasional little hottie for a zip.....:thumb:
That's it.....
Not comfy at all......
Bought it for my ass..... Not theres.....:thumb::thumb:
Wife can buy one if she likes....:dance::dance:
nnnnn.... if i'm going for a trip I have the saddlebags strapped on anyway.... No one can get to the rear pegs with those on....Hahahahahaha..:thumb:.:thumb:.:thumb:.:thumb:.:thumb:.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
See I like two up riding, but I have a 500r so my passenger are comfortable and so am I. Girls always want rides!! Works out well, more power than a 250 but still cheap and safe and great mpg
Maybe someone offers a better seat n grab bars?...:thumb::thumb:
Maybe someone on this knows of that info.....??????
Can any members hear me now....:whistling::whistling:
I guess if I knew I was gunna have a chic that was gunna ride with me all the time I'd get a half cruiser half sport bike kinda thing....
I remember a ol Kawi 900 I had for a short time years ago worked quite well this way. Put a decent seat on it with backrest for double up, but it went like hell still....:thumb::thumb:
Didn't have it long tho.....tranny went so sold it for parts to a friend...
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm curious what tips and tricks any experienced riders have for myself. I've been taking my girlfriend around town occasionally on the back of my 250r and no matter what we do, one of us seems to be suffering from discomfort.

i did a quick google search a few weeks ago and all that it came up with was that she needs to put her hands on the gas tank to keep from sliding forward while stopping (which did help A LOT).
So much can go into and factor in one person's operating experience. It only makes sense for a new rider to gain some real experience and confidence before adding and factoring in the effects of a passenger, especially on a bike that may not be ideally suited for two passengers.

So, that this does not become a long reading post, I recommend you read these motorcycle passenger safety topics from Motorcycle Safety/Dynamics. These topics contain some great information not only for the new rider, but advanced/experienced riders as well.

Ever seen a passenger operate a bike from the pillion with the driver passed out and still on it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.