Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gang,

Quick question,

I just bought a set of front and rear stands today.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Powersports/ComfortConvenience/PRD~0279360P/Sport%2BBike%2BStand.jsp

The stands came with 4 sets of spools 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm, i'm using the 10 mm spools as per the guidelines, question was.....do you all leave the spools attached or remove and re install whenever you need to use the rear stand?

I want to store my bike on the stands for the winter and then use the stands whenever i need to in the summer. just thought it a hassle to keep unscrewing the spools whenever i need to use the stands that and i dont want to damage the threads on the bike.

Any thoughts? What does everyone else do?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Spools on or off

Thanks team!

I paid 129.99 plus 5% tax canadian which is about 125 us dollars all in for the set.

I've been looking for these stands for a while and they were never in stock, saw them today and picked them up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

haha im in Calgary.

So I just tried to put the spools on and found I dont have a hex key large enough to screw these spools in, back to the store tomorrow :(, which it had said need x sized hex key to install on the box!!

On another note when you all put your spools on did you add a washer or something down there, the way the spool bracket is on the bike its a few me mm more inset than the actual spool arm, they makes having the spool installed flush impossible.

Has anyone else noticed this, did you add washers or leave the gap, did you spools fit flush?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

i leave mine on, althought the stands i bought off my buddy dont require them, its a swingarm style lift, and i much prefer that style as i can lift all my buddys bike without them needing spools...
but yea, i left mine on... look cool if not anything else...

as joe says they can protect your bike from damage... although mine wont get hurt as my mufflers would get smashed first... haha

·
Registered
5,695 Posts

I've left mine on since the day I got them, no loctite... They mounted flush, but if mine hadn't, I wouldn't have added washers, I would have gone to the hardware store to buy a nut that fits the bolts - to use a re-threader, and ground the bolts down till they were flush... I think that would look the cleanest... And if you use blue loctite, they won't be that difficult to break loose...

got a linky to the stands you got?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hey Spooph, thanks for the advice, its not the bolts that are the issue its the actual spools and the spool hole on the bike, the spool holder on the bike is inset a few mm and the spool itself is larger in diameter, so I really dont have any other option than washers for now and maybe order some new spools that fit flush.

If you look at some of the other threads, ninja 250 owners have used washers succesfully, ill just grab some black ones ;)

stands

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Powersports/ComfortConvenience/PRD~0279360P/Sport%2BBike%2BStand.jsp

spool solutions

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21722

·
Registered
5,695 Posts

Those stands are cool... I think I'm going to get myself a set next pay day... And I had no idea with the spools, mine just fit... Good luck with the washers...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Ok Update....

Got the correct spacer washers BUT!!! it doesnt leave much thread length on, i'm a little worried with the lack of thread left and how it will hold the load of the bike.

Heres some pics

So I have 3 options.

1. leave them as they are - not my preferred option unless you guys think the thread length will be ok.

2. try and find longer bolts at the hardware store, i will still have to use the washers but ill have more thread length in the bike for support.

3. Just but some new spools that fit right, doesnt look like they would be that expensive. Can anyone reccomend spools that fit out the box?

I appreciate any advise you guys can give me!!!

M.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Those are nice Meegari!

If I were in your situation, I think I would've just filed down the spool on top and installed it that way - plenty of thread on the bolts, and they work... Keep in mind, the most they have to carry at any given point in time is 300lbs, so I think they would've been fine, but hey, to each his own. If this gives you piece of mind, then spending the extra cash is worth it's weight in gold! :p

·
Registered
274 Posts
joeRWMN said:
I too say leave them on. I've never considered taking mine off. Also in the event of a dump, they'll save your rear rotor, etc. from being bent.

What did you pay for the stands?
Yeah, leave them on - they saved my bike - ground down the spools good but did not touch the swingarm or do any other damage to the bike cuz it was sliding on the spools, and the bar end of the handlebar - did that just right .. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.