Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my speedometer chooses when it wants to work and when it doesn't, regardless of the climate.
How can I fix this?
It would be nice to know how fast I'm going =)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohhhhh noooo...haha this isn't an issue with how fast I'm going.
I really can't tell how fast I'm going. It doesn't work at all.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
cl said:
Ohhhhh noooo...haha this isn't an issue with how fast I'm going.
I really can't tell how fast I'm going. It doesn't work at all.
Well that's not good. lol If you bought it your Bike new take it back to the dealership and tell them to fix it.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
you should have just taken it to the dealer stright the way anyways

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
maybe that bolt you found belongs to the speedometer. ;)
i see u been having the bike for 2 years. follow the cable coming from the front wheel to the speedometer make sure its not loose

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Hi-tech's right on. First step, check the cable and where it connects to the front wheel hub, and then trace it up and into the fairing, and make sure it's securely fastened to the speedo... I have heard of the threaded caps vibrating loose, and then the cable catches only sometimes, much like what you're describing. If the cable is good, the dealer would be the people to contact, cause farkling around with your speedo - IE opening it up and such is a Fellony... :p Of course, that's only if you get caught... The reason for this is because the gov't doesn't want people lying on their mileage... Huge thing back in the 70's and 80's...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the cable and everything looks good, other than some dirt and build up.
I cleaned it up and made sure everything was tight, but no luck.
I took my bike out for a ride and the speedometer still isn't working =(

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
cl said:
I checked the cable and everything looks good, other than some dirt and build up.
I cleaned it up and made sure everything was tight, but no luck.
I took my bike out for a ride and the speedometer still isn't working =(
you could always just put a gps on your bike like me to get a more accurate reading of speed... or in your case any reading at all... haha... sorry... i feel for you.

ps. bring it to your dealer and have them check and lube the speedo cable, as this is part of general maintenance!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Crushed is right - you could also disconnect the cable from the wheel - cause it's easier, and slide the rectangular spring inside all the way out - if it comes out in 1 piece, it's good. If it comes out in 2 or more, it isn't... :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you just twist it off or do I need a specific tool to loosen it up?
Also, what can I lube it with?

The gps thing sounds like a good idea...how expensive are they?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just realized what you meant by gps. For some reason it didn't cross my mind that you were talking about a normal gps. I just assumed gps was some type of code word for a detachable speedometer.

I'm hoping that it will be cheaper to just fix my speedometer. Gps systems cost a pretty penny.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
yes ma'am, you should be able to just twist off the cap thing - if it's tight, just use a pair of pliers, and then slide the inside out of it. To lube it, black/white lithium grease is best, no oil, or sticky lubes like chain lube. You want thick, thick grease here...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
cl said:
I just realized what you meant by gps. For some reason it didn't cross my mind that you were talking about a normal gps. I just assumed gps was some type of code word for a detachable speedometer.

I'm hoping that it will be cheaper to just fix my speedometer. Gps systems cost a pretty penny.
my gps cost me 200 about two years ago, and they are far cheaper than that these days, you can find on for under 150 very easily now.

mine is a garmin nuvi200, originally bought it for work, but fell in love with its many uses and attached it first the 250 and now to my z1000, and its so handy for alot of things, including TOPSPEED! haha it holds your highest speed till you reset it, and distance traveled and all kinds of fun facts, plus you can get directions whenever you want... so if you get lost no worries...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
hi-tech said:
i just get lost for fun. find out about new places i never been before then turn my gps on and get back on track
well i have my gps hard wired so it stays charged and i can see my accurate speed all the time...
unless im seriously lost and cant find my way at all, i wont use the direction part of it, ill just leave it on map mode.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I disconnected the cable from the wheel and everything was in 1 piece...I think.
It was a bit dirty and quite a pain to screw back on.
My issue wasn't really solved, but on the brightside my speedometer now works occasionally.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
so, just to recall.. you uncrew it from the speedometer as you turn the from wheel , do you notice the inside cable is turning too?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't recall the cable turning, but I do remember it moved freely inside the black "hose" that surrounds it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts