Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I kept reading that the speedometer is off on the Ninja 205R. So off I took my GPS and suckered it on my fuel tank and went for a ride. Basicly this is what I found :

Ninja speed : 100 KM/H (62 mph)
GPS speed: 91 KM/H (56 mph)

Ninja speed : 120 KM/H (74 mph )
GPS speed: 110 KM/H (68 mph)

So basicly, the speedo is off by 9% too slow. It would be interesting to see if anybody else could confirm these numbers :)
Oh..and also, the odometer is supposely accurate because of DOT requirement so I didn't test that..a gut on kawiforums tested it and it came out accurate.

Kinda makes sense now people likes to pass me on the highway when I thought I was already doing 110 KMH (limit).. :p

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I got the same thing 5 ph off at 50 mph and 10 mph off at 100 mph So about 10 % That is normal .

·
Registered
191 Posts
Same here. Weird that the speedometer is off but the odometer is pretty accurate. So at the higher speeds i do about 10 over on the speedometer.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
i'd like to test mine aswell
this isnt another FI thing but it might be set updifferently so would be nice to see if there was a difference or not.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I GPS'd mine a while ago and found the same thing. I also used this speed table ( a mathematical calculator) to also calculate speed. I found it really similar to GPS speeds. Here is how to use it.
1. In the rear tire circumference drop down box click other and type in your rear tire circumf.
130/70/17= 75.917
140/70/17= 77.651
150/70/17= 79.382
150/60/17= 75.671
2. Type in your front and rear sprocket sizes
3. Type in your max. RPM u can maintain then click calculate and see your final speed.

http://ninja250.kingston.net/speed.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks this is kinda disappointing? I mean, I managed to pull 165 km/h on a flat stretch with a passenger on the back. If that's really just like 145-150 km/h, that's like way weaker than I hoped after seeing the speedo. After all, there's a HUGE difference between 165 and 145.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
When I race at maxton . I hit 110 mph . With 10 % error that is 121 mph on the speedo.
The real disappointed people are on liter bikes . Because when they reach 180 mph the real speed is like 160 mph fast but not the 200 mph they where sure they would reach

·
Registered
331 Posts
Same thing here with FI,ab 10% off.

But look at the bright side.If you do speed limit speed on the tacho you'll never go over the limit.

Hence,no ticket.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
on the 2007 250 the wheel size is 16 inch.. could it be that the speedo never got adjusted for the 17 inch wheels on the newer models? damn kawasaki!!!

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
This is useful information. Thank you!!

We have speed patrols so good to know I am not reall 15 over just 5 :) whew!!!

·
Registered
874 Posts
zartan said:
They are like go carts. fast enough to be fun!!
but sexy enough to... well you know the rest.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts