Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is it, i was told to search for it in the search thing for the site and i didn't come up wtih anything, anyone want to help me, my spedo is 5mph slow n change

·
Registered
277 Posts
A Speedo Healer is used on bikes that use an electronic link between the rear wheel and the speedometer. It won't work on the 250 because it is a mechanical link, always turning the same amount. There is nothing you can adjust electronically.

If it bothers you that much, bring it in to the dealership and ask them to retard the speedo by 5mph. Or if you trust yourself, pull the whole dash and do it. I did. I put the dash into it's housing, went out for a ride with the clear face off and the needle just barely resting on it's pin. I had my friend get up to 25mph in his car (with stock tires, so his speedo wasn't off) and hold it there. Once I matched his pace for a couple hundred feet, I pushed the speedo hard on to the needle.

After that, every car I rode with that I asked said I was doing the same speed their speedo said, so it had to be a little more accurate.

·
Registered
331 Posts
AUDACIA said:
what is it, i was told to search for it in the search thing for the site and i didn't come up wtih anything, anyone want to help me, my spedo is 5mph slow n change
It's the 1st time I hear that the speedo on a Ninja 250 is showing too slow.All I've seen is showing too much.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eric said:
It's the 1st time I hear that the speedo on a Ninja 250 is showing too slow.All I've seen is showing too much.
just realized that's the case, im diong 60on spedo and actually doing 55 with anyone elses spedo.

so just shove on it? that doesn't sound like a great way to do it...

ill bitch at the dealership for selling me a defective bike and tell them to fix the problem, if they wont ill find someone to do it, id rather not endup with a broken spedo

·
Registered
277 Posts
No, don't just shove on it. Take the whole cluster apart, pull the needle off the spindle (careful, it's tiny and gentle (haha, that's what she said :D)), then set it back on there with a slight amount of pressure. You need enough pressure that it will move the needle when the spindle moves while you're riding, but light enough down pressure on the needle that you can move it with your finger.

Yeah, just try bitching. I always do shit myself, easier than trying to get someone else to do something right.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Travisty said:
No, don't just shove on it. Take the whole cluster apart, pull the needle off the spindle (careful, it's tiny and gentle (haha, that's what she said :D)), then set it back on there with a slight amount of pressure. You need enough pressure that it will move the needle when the spindle moves while you're riding, but light enough down pressure on the needle that you can move it with your finger.

Yeah, just try bitching. I always do shit myself, easier than trying to get someone else to do something right.
oohhhhh ok i was lik eWTF he trying to get me to strip the gears on it? lol but i get u now, hah i roll the bike and it reads 10mph...

called the dealership and there calling kawisaki,

the guy that delt with my scratched fairing that they scratched was like is there anymore i can do for you? *i pissed him off when the manager for the whole service department called and she bitched him out for being an asshole* i was like actually yah, i heard a *SIIIIGHHHHHHHHH* i knew i had hit a nerve when i said my spedo is FRAKED fix it? lol

ill try this, probably before my trip to Michigan with the fam

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Don't think you'll have much luck there Audacia, thats a common problem, and is something you may have to expect for a cheaper bike

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zandit said:
Don't think you'll have much luck there Audacia, thats a common problem, and is something you may have to expect for a cheaper bike
its 4grand think the least they could do was make the spedo work haha, but yah i get what your saying

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
dude, if it reads slower than you're going, you have a known excuse to speed! have the cop drive next to you and you yell your speed to him. I bet he'll see reason. :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
According to the dealership where I got my Ninja at they are allowed up to a 10% difference as long as the meter is not reading slower that your actual speed. I used a GPS to get a general ideal on my speed then just kind of wing it from there :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Travisty said:
Yeah, pin it in 6th, and when it's not going any faster, yell to him "It says I'm only doing 45!!" :D
yeah lol,

unfortunately i mis typed and im actually going slower then the said speed so >< spedo is FAST not slow unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
DAMN, but you could still use the excuse... It only becomes a problem when he rides your bike and sees for himself - but at this point you should be in the police cruiser and have one hell of an adventure!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
spooph said:
DAMN, but you could still use the excuse... It only becomes a problem when he rides your bike and sees for himself - but at this point you should be in the police cruiser and have one hell of an adventure!
yeah for sure, police packaged v8 would be a bit of fun!

·
Registered
15 Posts
so i have a question is the speedo 5mph off every where or is it 10% off cause when im going an indicated 30 the coppers radar setup thing says im going 27 and i cant remember what it read but it was something along the lines of 10% off but its hard to get a good basis for it like a nice high speed cause they dont use those things on high speed roads

if anyone has any idea just let me know

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Each speedo is just a little different, but mine seems to be off 7-10%.. And to check, you can always call the police non-emergency number and ask for an officer to help you "calibrate" your speedo with a gun. You sit there on a deserted road with the cop, clocking you at all kinds of speeds - the only way you can legally speed in front of an officer, while you figure out how much you're speedo is off... :p that's what I did - first time I've ever gone 70 in a 35 in front of an officer and not gotten a ticket or warning... :p

Maybe the sheriffs in your area aren't as cool, but mine are!

·
Registered
15 Posts
wow thanks thats what i thought well the thing is i wonder how you can fix that what does the bike use to measure speed

btw i noticed that my rpm can be off by 1000 or more rpm at 60 thats weird

so you can actually request that thats cool i should ask one of my crim/jus major friends if these cops are cool like that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
well somehow by luck i just talked to a cop in town and he said he would be willing to do it so im going to do it at 7 tomorrow it was kinda funny he just stoped bye to say hello cause i live in a smaller town. and i asked him and he said sure if that isnt luck i dont know what is

1 - 20 of 28 Posts