Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I took the bike out up and down the road. We have had a lot of cold weather lately and I wanted to start it up and make sure it is doing ok. I took it out and when I came back and parked it to let it idle for a few minutes. I noticed a real heavy exaust smell. It burned my nose when it hit me. Any ideas? My brother (Harley rider) says my carb needs clean and reccomended I get in gas carb cleaner.

· Registered
9,088 Posts
The other day I took the bike out up and down the road. We have had a lot of cold weather lately and I wanted to start it up and make sure it is doing ok. I took it out and when I came back and parked it to let it idle for a few minutes. I noticed a real heavy exaust smell. It burned my nose when it hit me. Any ideas? My brother (Harley rider) says my carb needs clean and reccomended I get in gas carb cleaner.
Remember to treat ur fuel before storage......

PRI Fuel Stabilizer- Gasoline - Amazon.com

Now u have a headache to address cause u didn't do that....
Try fuel cleaner n if u like in the colder climate maybe dry gas too.
Wouldn't hurt to either treat the gas with the above product of drain it n add new gas....

· Registered
674 Posts
Chances are what you were smelling was old gas that was starting to breakdown and varnish. I'd add a cleaner like Seafoam (also a stabilizer) and then fill the tank with fresh gas.

A few storage tips -

Change the oil (and filter) before storing, and don't start it up at any time to "warm it up" unless you are going to ride it for a while.

Add stabilizer to the gas before you actually put it away, and ride a week or more. Drain the floatbowls if you can (carbs only). When it's finally time to put it away, top-off the tank and add additional stabilizer. Use gas without Ethanol if possible.

Change any brake fluid that is even slightly dark.

Do any maintenance that is needed now so it's ready to roll in spring.

Jay

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I appreciate the tips as this is my first bike. But I just bought it off a guy at my military unit. He lives in one if the more southern and much warmer states. So he was able to ride it often and there was no need to "winterize". As he could have ridden it everyday. But the day he delivered it after I bought it. Big snowstorm hit and I had to park it. And being a first time biker I had no clue what to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.