Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

Solo Seat Cowl

9K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  spooph 
#1 ·
:D I finally added the solo seat, a birthday gift compliments of Mrs Boar. :) I was suprised to see what a huge box this little thing gets shipped in as well as to find out how many pieces it is in. It went together smoothy enough and snapped in with just a bit more pressure required on the locking pin than the rear seat required. I'm really happy with how it looks:

??? ??? ??? For those of you who have already done this mod, help me with the following problem please:
The pictures below show the pin at the rear of the solo cowl that slots into the rubber gromet at the back end of the rear seat bay. The tappered shaft of the pin on mine seems wrong as the tapper only covers around half of the pin. This sort of has the effect of placing a square peg in a round hole and it seems to me the rubber gromet pops out and/or pushes in fairly easily. Is my solo cowl missing a piece, or are they all like this? Anyone know? ??? ??? ???

See less See more
#4 ·
Simply a case of priorities for me. I love the mods people do to their bikes. The talent and imagination of the riders on this site always impresses me. But my own deal is that I'm a family guy and in order to ride I have to remain reasonable. So I have a relatively in-expensive bike that fortunately performs great and looks awesome, right out of the box. I have made a few small tweeks to make it mine, took off the red and amber side reflectors, trimmed off the tip of the tail, added the tank pad, black reflectors and shuriken decals, and now the seat cowl.

I have a wish list that includes a tinted double bubble windscreen and maybe a Corbin seat. I also have plans to build in some cargo capacity using the old passenger seat as a base.

I'm also far more artistic than mechanical, so messing with the moving parts makes me a bit skittish.

#8 ·
I have also bought the seat cowl and had the same problem. I managed to solve it in two different ways. Either use some wd-40/all purpose lubricant spray or simply lube it with your own saliva when you put it on. I know it sounds kinda grose, but it does work. Either way both are relatively temporary. Also, after you lube the gromet and pin, try attaching the locking mechanism end of the cowl first, followed by the pin end as that also helps to ensure a snug fit.

#9 ·
Hey BlackBoar just checked mine and its got the same thing...no need to return it...its gonna be a little tight...I wouldnt worry about it...and the way i put my cowl on is the rear pin first and then push down on the locking side...seems to work for me...

#12 ·
I did show the cowl and the oddly shaped flange to my dealer. They were not sure about it and could not get a straight answer from Kawi, so they sent it back for me and Kawi replaced it with a new one in about three days. Sure enough, it is the same as the old one, same odd shape on the flange. So, I had to assemble another cowl, but I also ended up with a spare rubber gromet which is good, because I think that is the weak link in the whole assembly as it is the most likely part to wear/tear or get dropped and roll away to that odd place where all the small parts disappear. ;D

So its back on the bike and looks as good as ever. ;D ;D ;D

#13 ·
ok, so I finally just got my cowl seat for my 08 ninja. It is kinda weird. It fits, it locks, but it does not seem secure or weather proof to me at all. I mean, there is actually a small gap near the front between the cowl and the rear fairing - but from what I see in other forums, it seems to be a common problem and they say the rubber will settle in and make it fit tighter in time.

http://www.2fiddy.com/2008/04/oem-seat-cowl-replacement/

Anyone got anything to add to that?? I was so excited, i wish it fit/looked better. Hopefully it will after a while.

#14 ·
you could always shave the stoppers and bend the bracket so it fits "snugger"... :p What I would actually recommend is finding some sort of rubber weather stripping (say at Home Depot, etc), and running a length of it all around the cowl, so where it meets the rear cowl, it seals nice and tight against the weather...

Personally I haven't cared enough to pursue this myself, but it would be cool to see somebody else do it...

#15 ·
Ok, so I did manage to tweak the cowl enough to get it to lock tight and hold - but the other day I was riding home and i reached back, as i regularly do, to just feel and make sure it is still there - and holy crap, it swung over and hit me in the back - technically it was still locked on but the entire back section had wiggled itself loose.

I had to pull over immediately and fix it. (sad part was i was maybe 1/2 mile from home, but I dont think it would have been there when i got home)

So the screws that hold the hardware together had vibrated themselves loose. Therefore, it was not seated right, and was only holding on by a thread.

Do I have to use locktite on the screws - that is one thing i do not have in my tool box yet, but i have some really great industrial super glue gel - i think it is actually locktite brand - Do you think I can use that to seal the screws in there? There is really no reason for the screws to have to come out, once i have put the seat cowl together.

any thoughts? use the glue?

#16 ·
spooph said:
you could always shave the stoppers and bend the bracket so it fits "snugger"... :p What I would actually recommend is finding some sort of rubber weather stripping (say at Home Depot, etc), and running a length of it all around the cowl, so where it meets the rear cowl, it seals nice and tight against the weather...

Personally I haven't cared enough to pursue this myself, but it would be cool to see somebody else do it...
OH - and spoof - what i found out after our first discussion about this in September - is the seat cowl fits and locks a lot better when I have it put together correctly - LMAO - damn sketchy directions. Three steps, you think i could do it - and I did - like on the 2nd or 3rd try - it did finally work for me. (so there was no need for weather striping)

#17 ·
Shady Lane said:
OH - and spoof - what i found out after our first discussion about this in September - is the seat cowl fits and locks a lot better when I have it put together correctly - LMAO - damn sketchy directions. Three steps, you think i could do it - and I did - like on the 2nd or 3rd try - it did finally work for me. (so there was no need for weather striping)
LMAO! Have any pics of it installed?

#18 ·
Shady Lane said:
Do I have to use locktite on the screws - i have some really great industrial super glue gel - i think it is actually locktite brand - Do you think I can use that to seal the screws in there? There is really no reason for the screws to have to come out, once i have put the seat cowl together.

any thoughts? use the glue?
Don't use super glue even if you think it will stay there forever.Who knows?If you don't have access to temporary locktite,use something else as substitute.Like paint or your g/f's nail varnish on the thread.It will hold the screw in place well enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.