Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just met up with my friend from Italy. He's back in town for 2 weeks from Afghanistan and so we went for a ride. He has a 08 R1. I rode it around and i took my riding position for granted. That's ridiculous how much i had to lean over. And b/c i was leaned over i had to move different on the bike to get the front end to move at low speeds. it felt harder to steer. And i could hardly give it gas in any gear before it looked like i was a kid taking a speed run around the block. I now like our bikes b/c you can use the entire RPM range & you'll still be legal. His bike had a digital temperature indicator that i thought was really slick. You could see the temperature raise when stopped at a red light and drop again as soon as we got into some cool air.

After riding his bike i was really glad that i didn't go that direction. I'm glad i have my bike and not some other bike. There is not another bike out there like ours that is sleek n' stylish, comfortable, economical, and affordable to ride. Anyone else see it this way?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I rode my Cousins 01 R1 a couple weeks ago.. Fucking loved it. Can't wait to get onto a big bore machine.. Not that there's anything wrong with our Ninjas, they're excellent at being what they are.. etc.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
YourSailor05 i totally agree with you, i have sat on at least 20 different bikes in the past two weeks and after sitting on all of the supersport style bikes i have since changed my direction as to what im getting next, i was dead set on the 675 triumph but after sitting on one and realizing like you said how far you have to lean forward i decided that its not for me or my wrists. if im spending that kind of money i want to be as comfortable as possible.

side note, everytime i left a dealership and got back on my 250 i felt a sense of more respect and just plain happieness with the machine, i think because of overall price and performance of what you get, but also because all the dealers jaws drop when i tell em its a 250 and not a zx6r!

( the pipe helps alot at confusing them! )

·
Registered
277 Posts
The 250's riding position is much more comfortable, that's for sure. Have you noticed how comfortable the big bike seats are though? :) That's one thing that blew me away about my gixxer.

Crushed: As far as the wrists thing goes.. Yeah, I notice it a bit, but that's after I've been riding for a while and I'm letting my legs go limp. Grip the tank and the weight on your wrists goes away. Also, just speed up a bit with the bigger bikes.. The wind holds you up pretty well. ;D

Honestly, I wouldn't trade my bike for anything right now (other than a shit ton of cash... Then I'd go buy another one). I'm glad that I... Hmm, I don't want to say stepped up, because I know that a lot of riders here own larger bikes along with their 250's, so I'll say stepped in the direction I did! I just wish I had taken that step sooner.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
I totally though that this thread would start " So i rode my buddy's r1 and crashed it" or " So i rode my buddy's r1 and bought one".

I can't wait to get a 250. But then I like the idea of shifting really fast or constantly shifting, It will make me fill the a gp racer.lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
Some great points about our 250's ! Straight line power they do not have, but in the twisties I will take any bike any day! If you know how to ride you can keep up just fine. I was talking to my bro-in-law the other day, he owns a Busa. He was talking about buying a GSXR 1000, he had made the comment that he probably could not ride it to it's limits or a 600. I asked him why he wanted one he just said that he wants it. I just left it at that and made the comment that I was thinking about a larger bike, but I just love my 250 and I will probably not be as happy with a 600. I used to own a Katana 600 and I do like my 250 alot more.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I also love my 250!
i took my friend out on the back of it th other day (he rides scooters) and he loved it so much he went and and now owns a suzuki SV650s...that he can barely put his feet down on..and to have his lisence he will have to restrict it to the power of my 250r..so whats the point? ill still be running rings round him haha

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Sailor, I'm dead set with ya there... Although, it would have been nice to have the 250R in two different options. Stock, as it comes from the factory now, and "not-so-stock", with a more forward position, more power, a louder exhaust and such. As my 250 sits, it is a wonderful little bike, I just aggravated at Kawi for cutting so many corners with it, and can't wait till I get it just as I want it, with more power, a farther forward stance, and different gear ratios...

Yes, I'm critiquing the 250R, but I'm doing so with the intent on putting another 84,000 miles on her, and with absolutely no intention of trading her for a bigger bike any time soon. So, I might critique, but do I love this bike! Good on you for sticking with this side, Sailor.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! And if i did get a big bike i'd probably kill myself on it. Now being back from the sand box for 2 months now the likelihood of me getting into a wreck with a big bike are high.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My buddy has a Ducati Monster 1000 that had a nail in the back tire. He bought a new tire and had a local moto shop put it on for him. He called me and asked if i could pick it up for him and bring it to work. It was a good ride, real comfortable. I like the setup for the handle bars. The bike is powerful and very smooth. I got it up to 120 mph on the Auto Baun. I had to mess with him saying I got to ride it first on the new tire. But he really wants to ride mine when I get it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.