Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard people talking about removing the snorkel from the ninja 250 and it giving it a little bit of a meaner sound, but making it run super lean (as opposed to pretty lean). So shimming the carb needles sounded like a good idea, but after I went through all the trouble of buying the 3mm washers, removing all of the fairings and the gas tank, I found there was no way in heck I was gonna be able to remove the screws from the plastic pieces covering the diaphragms as they were pretty much ruined. My first question is this: I know the worth of removing the snorkel is going to differ person to person, but is it an overall bad idea or an okay one?
Second: how the heck am I gonna get these stripped screws off my carbs without removing the whole carburetor (the screws are hard to get to as it is)
This forum is very helpful so I thought I'd give you guys a shout. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know to much about bikes, but I took the snorkel off of my 250. Not sure if it made any difference but it ran fine. And wish I could help you with the carb problem but mind came right off when I shimmed my needles. I shimmed with 2 washers on each needle. Best idea I ever had for the bike. It started up a lot easier from there on out. And did not loose any gas mileage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I took mine off and it ran like crap.
First it ran way lean and was choppy. It would run fine 1,000-4,500rpm then at 5,000 it would just stop and then have a boost and jump to 6,500.
Next it was hard to start in the cold, 60's.
I put the snorkel back in. I didn't rejet or anything as I'm sure that would have helped. It did sound nice but I am just going to get a new exhaust to take care of that problem.
I would say don't remove it. Or try it and if all else fails replace it. It's. It hard to replace it. I learned if you just start with the bottom part of it an work your way up then you will be fine.
Good luck and ride safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts