Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would say go with a muzzy like my 500 came with, but I honestly have no idea how my muzzy effects my bike.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
What do you hate about it?
It just really big looking compared to others I've seen and I don't like the sound. Some exhausts I've seen on youtube have really good sounds compared to it.
Most stock exhaust are going to be big compared to aftermarket exhaust.

Believe it or not, aftermarket exhaust cost less than the quiet stock exhaust to produce and are big money makers, That's because they have less stuff inside (basically empty tin cans). That's why they are so loud. It's far from a secret within the powersports industry that style and sound are where it's at with most cheap aftermarket systems, not performance.

I see a lot of people get slip on exhaust after watching and listening to youtube, only to eventually realize they are way too loud. But to each his own.

Want a different sound to your exhaust? Shim the needles, remove the snorkel and replace the stock airfilter. Cost about $35 and will help save your hearing.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'll look into that. Is that a cheaper modification.
If you are going to put on a slip on exhaust, You will probably need to shim the needles anyway and kleen air delete mod ( optional, if you don't mind the obnoxious exhaust popping on decel). It is a fairly cheap modification and pretty easy to do. The cost of some 3 mm washers are cents compared to hundreds of dollars for an exhaust

what does a "needle shim" do?
Simply put, shimming the carb jet needles allows a little more fuel in the 1/4-3/4 throttle range and removing the snorkel allows a little more air throughout the range. The amount of fuel added to this range will depend on how many washers are used and their thickness, which raises the jet needle height. The tiny bit of extra air from removing the snorkel will not hurt or lean out the AFR, in fact it is welcomed by the engine. All this equals a little boost and power to the bike, smooths out the acceleration and changes the intake note/noise to something a little more grumbly but not too deep or aggressive.

Many have done this mod successfully with great results. There are more than a few DIY's on the procedure on the net.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you are going to put on a slip on exhaust, You will probably need to shim the needles anyway and kleen air delete mod ( optional, if you don't mind the obnoxious exhaust popping on decel). It is a fairly cheap modification and pretty easy to do. The cost of some 3 mm washers are cents compared to hundreds of dollars for an exhaust
I have a single muzzy on my '99 Ninja 500, it pops on deceleration, what does it mean? I do like the dual exhaust look to be honest.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I have a single muzzy on my '99 Ninja 500, it pops on deceleration, what does it mean? I do like the dual exhaust look to be honest.
The popping on decel comes when you quickly and completely close the throttle, doing so causes a lean condition. Ease the throttle closed, it helps.

One reason you hear it (popping) so well is because you have an empty tin can instead of a heavily baffled steel drum. There's popping that goes on in most stock exhaust, you just can't hear it. Can you imagine any motorcycle company other than Harley Davidson making a brand new bike in which the exhaust crackled, backfired and popped all the time?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The popping on decel comes when you quickly and completely close the throttle, doing so causes a lean condition. Ease the throttle closed, it helps.

One reason you hear it (popping) so well is because you have an empty tin can instead of a heavily baffled steel drum. There's popping that goes on in most stock exhaust, you just can't hear it. Can you imagine any motorcycle company other than Harley Davidson making a brand new bike in which the exhaust crackled, backfired and popped all the time?
No way! I have a buddy that his R6 sounds almost like a H-D lol. Doesnt quite fit the sport bike ")

·
Registered
630 Posts

Lean condition?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.