Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh....was out riding with a very responsible, advanced group of older riders, and loving it. Have to admit I was pushing it a bit before lunch, but was learning from doing that (keeping the throttle steady through turns, really leaning into them, etc.) After lunch, we started off again, went through two turns and then on the third, I realized I was going into it too hot, but by that time, it was too late. So I did the only thing I could do, and leaned it hard. I should mention, it was a downhill, decreasing radius turn that was banked.

So anyways, as the thought registered that I was going in too hot, and leaned it hard, then I heard scraping, and then I blacked out. I woke up to see the guy that was riding behind me, standing over me, trying to wake me up and telling me not to move. He later said that I was laying there with my eyes wide open, not moving at all (which I think I remember...b/c I remember getting flashes of pictures and it was like fighting my way out of a dream) and then he said when I woke up, I just started shaking everywhere.

Pretty much, somehow the bike lost grip, probably a combination of the weight being on the front end b/c of the turn, maybe the tires didn't have the exact amount of pressure they needed to have, maybe I needed to adjust the suspension, maybe I leaned it too hard and something touched and lifted up the bike that tiniest bit, which made the rear tire get loose...sigh, no idea what caused it. But anyways, it low-sided, and sent both of us flying across the road, into the guardrail, and then the bike continued on down the road.

When I woke up, one leg was bent up, caught on part of the guardrail, and the other leg was straight. I thought for sure I'd broken my left leg and left arm b/c they were hurting so bad. I don't remember much other than people telling me not to move and I kept trying to, and I sat up, looking for my bike. And then I really started crying when I saw it laying down the road, with pieces scattered all over the road. Don't know when the ambulance got there, but I'm guessing they took off my jacket and helmet...put me on the backboard and put a neck brace on, all that jazz. Heard them say to have the helicopter on standby, which really freaked me out.

(My bike, after the guys picked it up and were able to push it up the road, waiting on AAA)

So they took me to the hospital and on the way, cut my jeans up which upset me, lol, they were my favorite jeans! But I get that they had to check my leg. Haha, and the lady in the ambulance asked if there was any chance I could be pregnant, and me, still crying, was like, "Noooo, I'm marriiiieedddddd." Hehe, she and her partner were cracking up! LOL

Got to the hospital, they did a cat scan to make sure the head was fine, then did xrays on the leg and the ribs, which were all hurting a lot. They couldn't find anything wrong which was great, just had several good sized bumps and bruises and a few scrapes. My jacket, which was textile, had a whole in the right arm, so I had a tiny scrape over there, but surprisingly, my jeans didn't rip at all, which I still don't understand, but I'm grateful for. So now I'm just recouping, taking drugs for the aches and pains. It's mostly my ribs that are hurting, although I still don't know why they hurt, b/c according to my buddy, I didn't hit the guardrail with anything other than my legs so who knows.

Sigh, and of course, the worst part is that my poor baby is a complete mess, but I know, considering all of it, it could have been much worse. I'm lucky that no one was coming the opposite direction, I'm lucky I was wearing the gear I was, and that there was a guardrail there to stop me....so many things could have been different. So anyways, when I do get the bike fixed, I'll be riding it in full leathers, b/c I'm not chancing losing any skin or wearing jeans when I'm riding hard.

And my bike, now that I've got it back at the house:

My windshield got so hot from scraping the slab, that it melted and warped....

Arrg, the brand new, only on a week and this was the first ride, rear cowling...

Sigh...my poor crumpled up baby...

The thing that stuck out to me the most, throughout all of this, was that I'd chosen a really great group of people to ride with. They were all experienced, responsible, and mature riders. They all have given me great feedback, and have offered their help and support in numerous ways. They even came to the hospital, and sat me with me until my husband got there. I couldn't have found a better group of people to ride with, and I wish that everyone had a group like this (hehe, just don't steal mine!). And my incident has inspired the few guys in the group who don't have full leathers (myself included) to look into buying them, so that's great too. All in all, I'm a lucky girl, and hopefully in a few days, I'll be feeling even better! But I'll be feeling the best of course, when my baby is back on the road again! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
im glad to hear that your alive and ok, it could of been worse. i know how you feel because, i been there before. well when you get back out on the road, ride safe.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ah Maggie, Fucking hell lol. My heart sunk through that panickly thinking "OMG I HOPE HER BIKE AND HER ARE OK!" I'm happy to know you faired better than your bike did.

I'm in a similar position with my riding group, Except we're all a little more hot blooded apparently. I think the biggest problem I have which you and I apparently share is who we ride with have larger more capable bikes, and indeed better riding skills. Not to say we aren't skilled riders.
The wheel, weight, etc of the Ninja just aren't made for doing that kinda thing. They're a low end introductory bike to build your confidence to tackle that stuff on a bigger bike so I'd say honestly... If you can get insurance on your Ninja or once you repair and ride it for a little longer.. Move up to a slightly bigger bike, a 650R or a ZX6R or even a later model 500R.

Anyway, For now I'm just glad your safe, This site needs it's site mum and maggie in one peice ya know!, What're you doing scaring us like that!

·
Registered
122 Posts
wow.. I read your story. Thanks for sharing. That's a great wake up call for all of us. I'm glad I made it home safe in the rain the other day. It's amazing how us motorcycle riders seem to have no fear sometimes. It crushes me to see your bike like that. It's red like mine too so it hits me even harder. I'm glad you're okay. Hang in there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Glad to hear your alright. Before I got my bike I accepted that I was gonna mess it up. There was no chance that I wouldnt. It can happen to any of us when you dont think it is going to. All my friends say it wont happen to them and after laying mine down I just look at them and laugh. Wear your gear and be safe.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
glad you're ok. that sucks. i knew it was horrible as soon as i saw the guard rail with red paint all over it.

Pics of the bike made me cringe. not gonna lie. Good thing you were wearing gear.

And its also a good thing you have insurance. like a really good thing. Get better!

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
We that sucks!!! I'm glade your o.k.

Don't take this the wrong way, but aren't you glade that you didn't do any Mods to your bike.?

Give us updates when you fill better.

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
Oh man thats awful, I'm glad to see you are okay for the most part, just glad you were wearing gear. Sorry to see the bike in bad shape, thats pretty rough but at least it can be fixed in do time. Get well soon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aww thanks everyone! I'm very glad I was wearing the gear I was...although now, I am sooo getting full leathers before I ride again. I still can't believe my jeans didn't rip...the Good Lord was watching out for me, I'm pretty sure. But anyways, it makes me wish more people would wear gear...if I hadn't have been wearing the helmet, jacket, and boots, I would have either been dead or severely hurt, and I get that, I really do, and I wish more people would understand that.

Anyways, the State Farm claims people are on top of their game...came out and took pics today, and then called me about an hour later with the estimate. The bike is totaled (which I expected) and I can buy it back from them for a decent price...I'll have to price things out to see if it's worth it to fix it, or I might part it out on ebay, not sure yet. But things are moving along pretty quickly, so that's exciting! Can't wait to start riding again!!! :)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
It must have been my crappy day but the site of your bike and the thought of a fella new ninjaite getting possibly majorly hurt brought tears to my eyes and I am a tough bit*ch. I am so sad that your little bike is broke. :( but very happy with the news you are alive and on the mend ready to get back in the game.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
zartan said:
It must have been my crappy day but the site of your bike and the thought of a fella new ninjaite getting possibly majorly hurt brought tears to my eyes and I am a tough bit*ch. I am so sad that your little bike is broke. :( but very happy with the news you are alive and on the mend ready to get back in the game.
Awww, thanks, that's so sweet of you! It stinks my bike is broken so bad, but I'll either fix it or part it out and get a new one, so either way, it's all good in the hood...just bummed that I can't ride till then though...sigh...and it's perfect riding weather right now!!! :(

1 - 20 of 43 Posts