Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bough a pair of leather hi-tops fro 30$. They feel very stiff and boot like but i guess its still a shoe. I'd like to have boots but I cant afford them until I get a job. I was wondering what big advantage boots will have over this strong hi-tops which feel like aboot anyway.

I was looking at boots and they look almost the same... same ankle coverage. just maybe more stuff? I dont know

Viewing Images For Sidi Blade Boots :: MotorcycleGear.com

that plastic cover seems to be the only difference.

http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=3432&id=11985

this pair looks better but there is just more leg coverage, not any more reinforced is it?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
boots hold more of your leg and reduce the likely-hood of serious damage being dealt to your ankle in the event of a crash. reduces movement as well which also stops damage being dealt. if you crashed in those shoes and your bike landed on it 1. your foot would be hush, 2. your ankle/leg would bend and break.

whereas in a high boot it would stop the bike from crushing as much. and even if your ankle does break it will at least hold it still

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know fabric over my leg isnt doing anything, so are these boots reinforced with something? These shoes fill damn stiff just like a boot and cover up my ankle nicley

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
SXGT, take a screw driver, an exacto knife or some seriously abrasive sand paper and drag it over those shoes, and then do it to the riding boots....

The leather on those sneakers, is it real leather? Even though they are stiff, can you bend the top to within 90 degrees of the sole? These are all things moto-designed foot wear can withstand. Will your $35 pair of sneaker be good enough for one crash? Yup. Will last for crash after crash as a moto-boot would? Probably not. Moto boots aren't all that different from regular shoes, except that they're usually made of real leather, real gor-tex, real kevlar, and stitch it together with some properly thick thread (sometimes even kevlar thread). Sometimes they're just a name with a design that looks cool but doesn't really offer any benefits.. I think you have to look at individual models and compare each one....

I know I know, you're not planning on crashing multiple times, and not even once, but it doesn't matter.... $200 boots are a lot cheaper than a visit to the ER, surgery and physical therapy. That's all I'm saying...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good comments posted about getting a full height boot. Very recommended. However, comparing this boot to a proper motorcycle boot regardless of the height, I notice a few things.
1) Laces - these will not be strong enough to hold the shoe together in nearly any crash.
2) I don't see any sign of stitching so I'd guess they're probably glued together. Glue is ok for walkers but definitely not strong enough to hold the boot together in a crash.
3) I doubt these are waterproof. I guarantee you will be caught in the rain at some point and you will wish very quickly that you'd got waterproof boots.
4) The impact areas look to have maybe some extra padding. Good motorcycle boots will have plastic armour as well as extra padding to protect you from impact at minimum over the ankle and many will also have armour in the heel and toe (high boots usually have armour over the shin as well).
5) Material is probably not real leather, certainly not proper motorcycle grade leather. These look highly suspect for their ability to protect you against abrasion.
6) Good motorcycle boots have anti-slip soles. Can't tell about these but doubtful they would have anything as good. Very embarrassing (and possibly dangerous) to put your foot down at a greasy stop light and have your foot slide out from under you.
Bottom line: these boots look the part on first glance but for accident protection, I wouldn't take the chance. I appreciate your financial situation but riding is dangerous. If something ever happened and you damaged your feet, believe me you'll wish you'd found the bucks to get proper boots. And by the way, you don't have to go all out and get Sidi's to get decent protection. My first boots were a pair of Tourmasters which I paid $125 for brand new.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Because we like you are we on top of this.

No No No. !!!! These look like the construction of my outdoor skates and falling at what 10-20 mph I have torn up those boot pretty bad. They are all Gorilla taped up ...

I would get something stronger. Save up quickly. :thumb:

·
Registered
260 Posts
shop around, hit up ebay. you don't need a pair of alpinestar SM-X to be protected. I just picked up a pair of Spidi X-K street shoes for $130, and I could have gone cheaper in price with the shift fuel, or even the xelemental cruiser.

as pointed out above, riding shoes/boots are designed to be safe to ride with, and help protect you in the event of a crash. and since they will only be worn when you ride your bike, you can expect them to last a couple seasons or more if you take care of them.

keep an eye out for closeout deals, I know sportbiketrackgear.com has some close out deals on some TCX square riding shoes, something like $64. dont just search ebay once, do it a couple times a week, there's always deals to be found if you are willing to look. but even a poor riding boot will be better than a great basketball shoe for riding.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
I wont get on anything with two wheels and has a motor without boots. About 5 years ago I was attending "bike night" where there are guys stunting their bikes and this one dude wearing his "poof skater shoes" (Felix meme) came down the wrong way and snapped his ankle off, just dangling there, very gruesome. I don't talk a lot about gear and what not but when it comes to gear I think of them as a set of basic set of tools you'd always have around and use; screwdriver, hammer, duct tape, wrench, pliers. Yeah it can be expensive but so can hospital bills and total replacement surgeries over the course of your life. Also, a dude who used to be active on the forums (Ratty) once said about 2 years ago that motorcycles have this misconception of being cheap, their not. So get quality gear and live a quality life, we hate broken bones and injuries on the site :)

If I can find a picture of my dad's ankle, shin and knee I'll scan and upload it and show you why its so important. And like Felix said above he likes his ankles in their present alignment :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Teknic Chicane Waterproof Street Boots - RevZilla

I have these boots, Teknic Chicane street boots. I love them, they feel much better than shoes or my hiking boots I wore previously. Can wear them all day they are super comfortable, and match the rest of my gear perfectly.

Hope I never have to find out the actual protection benefits of these, but at least I feel better with them on!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I find it's pretty easy, just pulling up to a stop sign, to place my foot incorrectly on the ground. Add any amount of speed, and you are in danger of serious injury.

When the Wife took her riding class, we stopped by the Harley dealer, and got her a proper pair of boots (side zip up). They wouldn't let her on a bike without them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have two pair of riding shoes now. I do way too much walking around (since I use my bike for EVERYTHING now) to go straight boot. I have the spidi XK, and the shift kicker. Both offer tons of features, stiff soles, shift patches, speed lace systems, upper ankle protection, but the spidi's run a bit big and don't have half sizes. They were a bit bulky for me on the bike, the shift's are right on the money. not too bulky, lots of protection, yet still able to wear them and walk around for long periods of time when not on the bike.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I didn't have riding boots for a while then I saw a show on tv where a guy had a motorcycle accident and his ankle was bent 90 degrees. Gruesome. Now I have a pair of riding shoes that rise past the ankle but aren't a full length boot. Comfortable enough to walk around in all day and they still offer ample protection.

I feel weird if I get on the bike without all the gear, much like driving a car without wearing a seat belt.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I gotta tell ya. After my accident and only having a bruise on my left calf, I will never ride in anything other than a boot. I was wearing my Marine Corps issued boots and I'm glad I was. Nothing happened to the boot, and nothing happened to my ankle either. Boots over shoes for riding all day everyday!!!

I have seena guy who was wearing boots go down. He was turning doing about maybe 10mph and some how ran over a hubcap that made his front tire slide out. When I got to him his left ankle was twisted 180* from what it was supposed to be. Once we lifted the bike off of him, his foot went back to where it was supposed to be. He said it was sore, but that's it. His arm was hurting too which was his main complaint. He had full riding gear on too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After working/assisting surgeons in operating theatre for 8 years, I NEVER ride without boots, gloves, jacket, helmet etc. I know the outcome of not wearing protective gear & I've assisted/repaired the injury's too many times to be slack about not wearing gear.
I was actually looking at the range of females boots & gloves the other day & could not believe the lack of protection offered :rolleyes:
Hence why I always buy mens Alpinestars gloves & mens SIDI boots :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.