Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the worlds fastest ninja has become the worlds quickest Ninja 250 .Going better than 12.9 in the 1/4 mile . BIG PROPS TO YOU . Even with shifting issues and the spongy suspension he was able to get the job done .

Now we gettin some respect for the 250 ninja. 12s and 120 + mph with a 15 cubic inch engine. That is what im talkin about . Good Job A

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks fellas. Got there late but in 3 hours I got exactly 20 runs.

Got the bike started and running but bottle pressure was low due to cold weather. I knew using the bottle warmer too much would drain the battery and it nearly did, had trouble getting it started.

The quickshifter was fine...for most of the shifts...but never got one clean run in 20 runs....sometimes it was 1st to 2nd, sometimes it was 3rd to 4th. When I went 12.9 I remember it not going into 6th and I had to shift a 2nd time. Maybe a 12.8 if that hadn't happened? Played with kill time....too fast and got no shifts....too slow and ... well....too slow and even that didnt' seem to work. Bike doesn't seem to like nitrous quickshifts. I did some motor passes and it was overall better but still not perfect.

At the end I resorted to just clutchless upshifts and rolling off the throttle which seemed fine. Might just disable the quickshifter because for now its giving me more problems than its worth and I don't want to tear the transmission up with bad shifts or problems shifting.

Might strap the front and try one last time this season. Weather was in the 50s with a light headwind. Traction issues for the bigger bikes but not me. My wheelbase is really kinda stubby...might trying pulling it back 1/2 inch if time permits next week.

Runs went from better and better back to slightly worst by the end of the day...ran 2 seperate 12.9s back to back 6 minutes apart.

Got my 60s better but needed to practice coming out harder. Not much time to get yoru foot back on the shfiter for 2nd. Couple of minor wheelies....I think its got another .1-.2 in it with perfect shifts, correct bottle pressure and a little more SNAP out the gate. I'm cognitively getting WOT in 1st before 2nd but it needs to happen quicker IMO.

Fun fun fun....

A.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Now the worlds fastest ninja has become the worlds quickest Ninja 250 .Going better than 12.9 in the 1/4 mile . BIG PROPS TO YOU . Even with shifting issues and the spongy suspension he was able to get the job done .

Now we gettin some respect for the 250 ninja. 12s and 120 + mph with a 15 cubic inch engine. That is what im talkin about . Good Job A
Respect!!

really hatin this minimum character count...

·
Registered
27 Posts
20 runs in 3hrs?!?! Hot lapping much? How is your clutch going?

----Cool weather and the clutch seemed fine. I'd stage with the temp gauge near 12:00...by the time I finished the run and made the slow ride back to get my time slip motor was very cold....just a little above C.

What's your 60fts?

----Best were low 1.8s. Gearing had my wheelbase shorter than I'd have liked. I could have dropped 1 in the front but I would have been all over the limiter at the end. Conversely I could have gone -1 in the back for a little more wheelbase too and stay in the meat of the power in 6th at the traps but its hard to tell my brain to go with softer gearing at a drag strip with a stock motor Ninja 250 :p

Strapping the front and lowering the rear will stop energy being transfered into motion that doesn't help you off the line.

----Bike sits quite low. Did not strap the front but its a dedicated straight line bike. There is minimal suspension travel and both front and rear have not only been lowered but stiffened up so they don't bottom out at Maxton hitting large bumps.

I reckon you should be able to foot shift it eassssy!

----Absolutely...I footshift the ZX-12 on nitrous...the Ninja 250 is just a mini 12R in a way. We had a used quickshifter in the shop and I figured if it works without issues, on average, it should help a tiny bit....and with a stock motor ninja 250 every little bit helps.

What are you launching at?

----I varied things up a lot. On the street with 15/44 gearing I would launch around 10K and that was pretty good. But with it lower, stiffer suspension, more aggressive gearing and lighter it was quite different actually and I had to relearn what to do. I got comfortable launching from 12k but I think that might be just a little too high....I tried 11K and that seemed better but there is no exact rule because we all have different riding styles, different gearing, weight, setup, wheelbase etc. I've always liked drag racing but am not consistent at all. I was just trying different things and seeing what seemed to work and what didn't. The 250 is presently hibernating now with Stabil and a tricklecharger till spring. I could go to an air shifter for the drag strip....but then there's the weight penalty ;D

A.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like you are all over it!!! Can't wait for more results!

Felix
The strip is fun...almost addictive. Mine won't be getting much else done till next season but I look forward to making some runs with Eric in 2011. We never got to sync up our schedules for the strip. 2 nitrous 250s at the strip...probably draws more attention than 2 nitrous busas lining up. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.