Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 ninja 250, i am pretty new to riding.... how many rpms should i be at before i shift? I always end up shifting pretty quickly but im not sure if that is the right way to do it. Thanks!

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
There is no right or wrong answer to this, you just change where you feel comfortable. Obviously if the engine is labouring then you have changed when the revs are too low.
I'm not very familiar with the 2000 model, but I understand it is pretty similar to the current engine, and depending on what I was doing I would shift anywhere between 4k and 10k. Either way you will not damage the engine.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont worry, you will pick up quickly. :) only been riding a few months, but i feel like i have it pretty well down. For me, shifting just depends on how im riding. If im taking freeway, then i shift at high rpms, if im taking twisties, medium. and just around town i shift at like 4 or 5

· Registered
233 Posts
the user manual has the optimal shifting SPEEDS for shifting up and down. typically the sound of the engine should be sufficient, but for a point of reference... the manual says you're supposed to be in 6th gear at 30 MPH. usually when i ride i'm at 5th gear in 30-35 MPH zones.. sometimes fourth if there is a lot of traffic. anything above 35 MPH i'm in 6th gear getting the best gas mileage i possibly can :dance:

i love flaunting my MPG to people who don't own motorcycles... it always makes them gasp

· Registered
9,088 Posts
the user manual has the optimal shifting SPEEDS for shifting up and down. typically the sound of the engine should be sufficient, but for a point of reference... the manual says you're supposed to be in 6th gear at 30 MPH. usually when i ride i'm at 5th gear in 30-35 MPH zones.. sometimes fourth if there is a lot of traffic. anything above 35 MPH i'm in 6th gear getting the best gas mileage i possibly can :dance:

i love flaunting my MPG to people who don't own motorcycles... it always makes them gasp
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I myself go for the best mpg i can get.....
Well....unless i'm in a playfull mood at the time....LOL

:dance::dance::dance:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.