Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
I'm a new rider and have a 2011 650 for two months now and WOW I love it. I mean I feel a Lil cramped on long trips but that's because I'm 6.4. Other then that I love it. It's beautiful the power is there when you need it and a bunch of mods available.... Good luck with ur choice and ride safe.

· Registered
11 Posts
devans2011 said:
I'm like 80% sure I'm gona get the 650 it's a bad ass looking machine I fell in love with it when I sat on it
Trust me you'll love it. My friend bought a 2012 250 and every time we ride he complains that he should've gotten s 650 instead, so he'll be selling his bike pretty soon.

· Registered
420 Posts
i love the 650's but if you are starting out first bike consider a 250, especially depending on your size, i have a 500 and i know a few people who have road mine that were new to riding and it was too much for them, but good luck with what you choose!!

· Registered
60 Posts
To much power is not necessarily a good thing. A new rider may become over confident with their riding skills and a 650 can and will get you in a world of hurt if you let it due to inexperience! Take it for what's its worth....... Been there done that got the t-shirt. You have received a lot of great advice from riders with more experience than both of us combined. Gain riding experience, learn what you can and can't do on a bike THEN get a bigger bike down the road. Good luck with your decision.

· Registered
49 Posts
Take both for a test ride n choose the one that suites you best and you feel the most comfortable riding... I was lucky up here in Canada we have the ninja 400r which really helps separate the gaps between the 250 and the 650... Again test ride both... Best of luck with your choice and safe riding:)

· Registered
674 Posts
I'm like 80% sure I'm gona get the 650 it's a bad ass looking machine I fell in love with it when I sat on it
That's a terrible reason to buy any bike.

I'm assuming you are a new rider. A 650 is plenty big/heavy/fast and not a good choice for most new riders.

I ride a 650 (SV), but I won't let my son start on one when it's time, even though he has been riding since he was 4. I've owned a bunch of street bikes (up to 750CCs) since I started on the street in the 80s, and my next bike will most likely be smaller/lighter than my current 650.

Jay

· Registered
49 Posts
A terrible reason to buy a bike that you feel comfortable on???
If you don't feel comfortable on a 250 why would you buy one... Ya the power is there on a bigger bike but that doesn't mean you don't have to use it...

· Registered
24 Posts
Never buy a new bike for your first one. Trust me when I say this. You will make a silly mistake. We all have, it's nothing to be embaressed about. Perhaps a used 250 would be best. I know it sucks when you see all the guys fly by on 600s and bigger, but they started at the same spot. On a smaller, used bike. Don't get me wrong, I love the 650 I have now, but I worked up to it. If you buy a cheap used one, you get the benefit of learning how to work one them without the worry of screwing up a brand new $8000 machine. And you can not cry so hard when you make that silly mistake.

· Registered
52 Posts
I own a 2006 Ninja and I've ridden a mere 2080 miles but I am in no hurry to buy a 600 or bigger.

I just did my first 275 mile, day long ride with my buddy on his 650 V Strom and we did just under 70 mph most of the trip which included riding over the pass of Mt Hood here in Oregon.

At no time did my bike lack power or the ability to keep up with my friend (other than he has more riding experience) or pass motorists when it was safe to do so. One thing that is true is that one has to shift much more often on a 250 but heck...shifting is fun! :)

So I'm going to make a bold statement and say that anyone who thinks a Ninja 250 doesn't have any power hasn't ever ridden one or doesn't know how to ride.

Flame On! :)

· Registered
674 Posts
A terrible reason to buy a bike that you feel comfortable on???
If you don't feel comfortable on a 250 why would you buy one... Ya the power is there on a bigger bike but that doesn't mean you don't have to use it...
And you can tell so much about it just sitting on it in a show room...

If you have no experience, how can you really judge what is "comfortable" or "feels right"? - especially just sitting on it.

It's not just power that causes problems - it's weight.

I also agree with MightyMouse - any new bike is not a good choice as your first (strike 1). Add to that financing a new bike (strike 2) and adding "Extended Warranties" or "Service Contracts" (strike 3) and you have a major fail IMO.

Intelligent purchases should be based on more than "it looks bad ass" or "it feels good" sitting on it in the show room, especially when you are new to the game.

Jay

· Registered
49 Posts
I am new to the game, and did a lot of research on the ninja 250, 400, and the 650... I was going to get a 250 for my first bike they are amazing machines but when I did sit on one I felt to big for the bike and didn't feel comfortable on it at all compared to the 400 which only weighs a little less then the 650... I prefer the extra weight especially on windy days the bike just feels that more stable to me and I can cruise nice and easy without and issue and kno I may enough power to enjoy the bike as I grow with it instead of buying another bike in a year or less. They are all great machines just everyone has a different preference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.