Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just got in from the 1st day of the safety course & I'm glad I had a few weeks to practice in real-life instances before getting out there. The brutal heat (100+), no mirrors on the bikes & touchy shift levers, made for an interesting day but having developed some pretty good habits beforehand eliminated those "little" nuances for me. I just wanted to thank you guys for all of your tips & encouragement, I passed many of them on to some frustrated, but appreciative fellow riders.

We all thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Good stuff! Hopefully you have no issues with passing the course

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well ladies & gents,

It's over. Didn't get the tight u-turn but everything else was a breeze. 100 on paper & 95 on the skills test. The crazy thing is, both instructors said my cornering was great & fun to watch. Get my endorsement tomorrow morning.

Ps-took my first ride in 59 degree weather this morning...needless to say I made it 8 blocks, turned around, put an extra layer in my jacket & a long sleeved thermal tee shirt. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Spooph! I'm just glad it's over. I look forward to taking some longer rides now that I don't have a curfew. I do have a quick question:

Is it absolutely necessary to winterize my bike? The bike will either be kept in the garage attached to the house or the basement.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
No, it's not necessary to winterize your bike... BUT, do you want it to start up hassle free next season? If your answer is YES, then indeed, it IS absolutely necessary to winterize you're bike... There are a few shortcuts you can take, but I would recommend doing all the fluids and the whole thing.... If however you want to be lazy, don't winterize it this season and see how much of a pain it is next season... It will be the last season you do it... :p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol. I'll take that as something I'd better look into before this week is over. My mechanic works on and stores bikes for the winter so I'll have him quote me.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
S.Blunt, it's really not a hard job. You already have a place to store it, that's done. When the dreaded time comes, here's a few basics: (Use Search, there is more info on here)

Change the oil and filter
Fill the tank as full as you can
add StaBil or other good quality fuel stabilizer
Run the bike for a short bit to ensure the stabilizer is through the system
Wash and dry the bike
Clean and lube the chain
Keep the tires off the cement, use stands or just have some plywood/carpet under wheels
Remove the battery and store in a moderate, dry place
Cover the bike
Wave good bye, dry tears, stare at calendar for the next 4 F'ing months!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Congrats on passing! Well done :thumb:
I couldn't imagine locking my bike up due to the weather! In Australia, we can ride 365 days a year :D except when it floods like it did earlier this year :(
Yeah! Even down here in Tassie we can ride 24/7/365, as long s you can handle the cold and wet!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Green Eyed Monster of Jealousy enters the room....

I really envy all of you who can ride year round. Parking over the Winter is a heart break, there is just no way to avoid it in Canada. Of course, being such and expansive country, our climate does vary a bit by region. In the lower mainland of British Columbia, out on the West Coast, they have relatively mild Winters and riders can keep their bikes on the raod all year. The trade off for them is much higher than average rain days. I live an hour from the southern most part of Canada, but snow, ice and freezing cold keep me of the bike from the start of November to the middle of March.:popcorn:

To my year-round riding Brothers and Sisters, cheers! Good on ya!:dance:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.