Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I was takin a corner and my back tire slid out. broke off my left foot rest, left blinker scratched up left fairing and dented in the shifter. it wasn't that bad but it won't turn on now. any one know why?

·
Registered
267 Posts
first off let me say sorry to hear the bad news, but I'm glad that you're ok. If by "not turn on" you mean the engine won't start, then it's probably because the engine is flooded (because it's carburated). You could try pulling the spark plugs out of it and turn the engine over a few times to clear out any built up fuel. Then reinstall the plugs and fire her up. Give it a try and let us know.

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
Dude sorry to hear that, glad you came out of that alright. As for the bike, I've heard stories of them being dropped just slightly and not turning on. Probably took a big jolt somewhere and something most likely is loose or broken.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If it's not something as simple as what dknoll said (hopefully it is), maybe it's something as simple as it being stuck in gear, or the bike thinking it is and not allowing the engine to turn over?

We need a bit more info man.. Do you have power to anything on the bike? Does the bike turn over but not fire? Does it turn over and sputter slightly? ... Just some general info. :)

I know there is a ground wire underneath the air box, above the shifter.. Might have been hit?

Glad you're well enough you're not in a hospital. ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
yeah, since you fell on the left side...maybe the kickstand switch was damaged/ not being disengaged. yous said you damaged the left foot peg and shifter....so I'd check the kickstand switch and make sure it's ok. we just need a little more info. will it not crank at all? crank and not start?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it will crank but won't start. everything else works: horn, lights, blinkers, etc. sounds like it wants to start but never catches fire.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I would try what dknollRX7 said, it seems like that would be about the only thing i could think. you can still start it with the kickstand down as long as you pull the clutch. so it wouldnt be that or if it was stuck in gear you can still start it with the clutch pulled. so yea... eliminate one thing at a time till you get it. let us know some updates of things you tried and such, we are here to help and want you riding as much as we want to ride. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you don't see any damage to the wiring of the kickstand then its probably flooded. I accidentally drop my bike the other in my garage while its was idling. Once it got drop I have a very hard time starting it. The engine would crank but would not start. So I suspected that the carb got flooded. I would pull the clutch in and try to start the bike with the throttle wipe open for a few second and let go of the starter. Then try to start the bike as you would any day. This is what I did and work perfectly for me and here some extra info on flooded carb : http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_can_I_do_if_I_flood_it%3F

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah thank god it was only flooded. my main concern was it being able to run again. i came across that link on google and it helped but thanks guys for all of the input. now my next step is left side fairing foot peg and front wheel fairing. anyone know of where i can get any of these for cheap?

·
Registered
192 Posts
WELL I did the same thing you did going like 20 mph but I dropped it down on the right side not the left. But anyway I was totally pissed that the footpeg didnt kick up like it was supposed to. But anyways rear set and turn signal from the local kawi dealer shipped to their place. It was $112. Would of been more if I would of got a break lever. Those are like $75. But mine bent over also but I took it to my old shop teacher and he heated it up with a torch and bent that sucker back. So saved me some money. But I didnt crack any of my fairings just scratched them. And well im talking them to a place called CTECH. Like where highschool students go to practice their trade(nursing, mechanic, hair stylest, ect) But they have abody repair there and I aske if they would do the pubilc stuff. So im taking them there tomorrow to get them painted bc the cheapest I got quoted around here was like $250. And of corse its gonna be more then that so I think they can only charge me the price for the paint and not labor since it the kids are in highschool. And anybody thinking that it isnt going to be a good paint job the teacher told me that if the kids dont do it right they sand it back down and do it over again. So my connections are saving me money. Kind of a good thing to be a kiss ass in shop class and be the teachers B*TCH so if I need anything done it will be free. lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ohh im just gettin them painted black...Tryin to sell it....Im seeing all these deals around here for gixer or CBR 600's and definally upgrading.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
weth56 said:
Ohh im just gettin them painted black...Tryin to sell it....Im seeing all these deals around here for gixer or CBR 600's and definally upgrading.
if thats the case i would paint it viper yellow and youll sell it so quick your head will spin! being the only bright yellow ninja 250 anywhere, you will have no problem offloading it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
sorry to hear but glad you're ok. all that crap is replaceable. but nothing can replace you. precious right?
I did something similar last year and couldn't get it started. I just kept trying and trying, yelled "come on you F'er!" and it started right up the very next time. Hadn't had a problem since. so... i'd recommend giving that a whirl.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts