Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it mean to run rich/lean?
I know that a bunch of other posts cover this, but I have no idea what it means or what it affects.
Can someone explain it like a dummies edition of running lean/rich?

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Running lean my version = your depriving the engine of fuel that there is not enough for it to run! AKA you will kill your motor if you don't fix this.
Running to Rich my version = The engine has more then enough fuel to work!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
The way your engine works is by mixing air and fuel which causes and explosion and produces power... Gasoline as a liquid doesn't burn... It needs a catalyst, like oxygen, obviously found in the air we and bike breathes to make the boom...

I don't really know what the "perfect" air/fuel mixture is for the ninja, but you don't really have to....

So, building off of what D said, Rich = too much fuel for the amount of air. If an engine is very rich, you could foul plugs (carbon build up on the plugs that makes them not work), and the engine will be down on power, and it will run cool. It will not be giving it's all, but it is safer.

Lean = too little fuel for the amount of air. If the engine is very lean, you burn valves, produce a lot of horsepower, run hot, and damage a whole lot of stuff....

It's about getting the perfect ratio. Atmoshperic conditions also play into, since they affect how heavy/thick the air is. Altitude does as well..

Without getting too deep into the rest, ask another question so I don't bore you... :p

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
The most accurate way to tell is to look at your spark plugs...

http://www.newninja.com/general-tech/are-my-spark-plug-indicating-i'm-running-rich/

And here's a nice little discussion on trying to figure it out based on how the bike is behaving...

http://www.newninja.com/modification-q-a/did-i-lean-out-above-11k/

I don't mean to seem like a bigot by providing you these links, but I guess I am lazy, cause I don't want to type everything over, ya know? :p

If you provide me with a video of the bike being revved quickly, and slowly from idle to red line I could probably tell ya... If you can, and are willing to do the vid, let me know and I'll let you know exactly what I need the video to record.. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No biggie...I appreciate the links. I know other people have asked similar questions so why type everything out again.
I just replaced my spark plugs, so I still have them laying around. They looked good to me, but I'll post an image and let me know what you think.

I'll try to get a video together. I suck at this image/video posting thing so it might take awhile.

·
Registered
331 Posts
cl said:
I just replaced my spark plugs, so I still have them laying around. They looked good to me, but I'll post an image and let me know what you think.
cl do compare your laying-around-spark plugs with this and you might find out if you are running the mixture too lean or too rich.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts