Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took the exhaust off my '08 250 ninja...
just wondering if there are any negatives to running the bike without it???

Thanks,

-Hanz

·
Registered
94 Posts
it's brutally loud, not a great sound. Have you compensated for the extra airflow with a dynojet kit or anything? If you havent the bike will run like crap, lean as hell

·
Registered
277 Posts
I can't attest to how it will run with NO exhaust, but I can tell you how it ran for me with my straight through exhaust.

I noticed a slight gain in power, and no pinging or lean spots (significant anyways) in the RPM range at all, but I never really got on the bike at all because I knew it would run lean at WOT. If you run it with no exhaust, just go easy on it, and you'll be OK until you can at the very least shim your needles.

After I shimmed my needles, I completely eliminated the lean spot between 2 and 4k RPM's. I can only imagine what my bike will handle like once I get the jet kit for the bike with the new K&N and my straight through exhaust.

And yeah, it's RIDICULOUSLY loud...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha thanks boys....good info.
I was just wondering cause i need to idle it for a bit today, part of the winterizing. don't think it'll hurt her too much.

thanks,

Hanz

·
Registered
277 Posts
With no load on the motor, you'll almost definitely be fine, especially if you're just letting it idle.

You're winterizing kinda late, eh?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I was racing at Maxton in June. It was 115 deg f. I made 6 passes on Saturday All at 101 . something. On Sunday it started all over again . Like a bracket drag racer .I was stuck at 101 mph then at lunch I figured with 115 deg and 80 % humidity . I needed to lean out my mixture. I was running 104 mph just a month before with the same set up.
I have a full Yoshie set up with K&N filter pods.
I figured if I pulled the muffler it would loose some torque but may lean things out.
First pass with out muffler went 103 then 105 then my fastest speed ever at 106.760mph .
So I would say you may get 5 mph top end loose some torque and yes it is loud as hell @ 13000 rpm.
Another cool thing is fire comes out of the short pipe

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
true true....
but i'd rather have it safely put in the garage then either of the two haha
Dude i f*cking hate winter! such an asshole....i've been dreaming of a sunnier day for already two months now. once again good info dark horse.....you race hey?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ya its insanly too loud. I was alteast like quarter mile away and my friend heard me comming down the road. But ya its a clean look but does mess with your computer on the bike. I road around for like 2 hours going to my other friends houses and showing them and after I got home to put the muffler back on my head hurt and my ears where ringing. And I even had a helmet on. SO..... Guess just try it like up and down the road.

·
Registered
277 Posts
weth56 said:
Ya its insanly too loud. I was alteast like quarter mile away and my friend heard me comming down the road. But ya its a clean look but does mess with your computer on the bike. I road around for like 2 hours going to my other friends houses and showing them and after I got home to put the muffler back on my head hurt and my ears where ringing. And I even had a helmet on. SO..... Guess just try it like up and down the road.
You have the European model with the fuel injection? Lucky!!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The guy running the timing tower at the Maxton race track called me the angry Bee.
Now he has bin watching big block Chevy's and all manner of vehicles going buy at full throttle for years. My 250 was so loud he made comment about it. That should say something about how loud it is a 13000 rpm with an open pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
lol i have been experimenting with the no pipe and when i first did it i reved it up a little and get in my jeep and was heading to church and i was like wow my ears hurt.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'd like to hear that sound. Someone has to make a movie on how loud it is/ how it looks.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
what are you guys talking about it sounds just the same as it does with a aftermarket exhaust just not as loud! to me the 250 sounds like a street version of a dirt bike....period! not a bad thing though.... i love the open exhaust sound loud mean agressive! i run my bike no exhaust and it way louder then the 250 and mots bikes too at first it was hard to handel, now it does not bug me infact i try and keep it at high rpms because i love the sound! it wont hurt the bike at all you have a nice 90 degree bend at the headers thats all the back press you need. one thing though is when i ride exhaustless low end tq sucks ass! but high rmps just kills it feels like a 750 or 1000 its awesome, then i put my exhaust back on and i have awesome low end tq but not as much on high rpms you know but whatevere, loud pipes save lives man im telling you! its a cop magnet but atleast your visibale, im sure the deff people will notice you hahaha

plus it gives it a cleaner look, cant beat that!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts