Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I helped my wife learn how to ride my 09 ninja 250r but it was on the grass just in case, she did very well with the clutch and throttle control i'm proud of her.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
good news, but why on the grass? Isn't that more slippery?

I think with frame sliders, less damage would occur on the asphalt that on the grass... Just a thought.

Is she gonna get her own ninja?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Great. One more Ninja Addiction.

+1 on the grass question. A nice open flat empty parking lot would be my choice if Mrs Boar ever decided she wanted to give it a try.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't have the frame sliders as of yet so I had her ride in the grass so if she dumped it she would not be going fast and I would have less to fix ;D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like grass ideal. They are right more slick. Really watch corners. Grass is where I started. Also first dump cost for repairs 0.first drop on road going slower turning cost 350 plus hours reparing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
genosr said:
Today I helped my wife learn how to ride my 09 ninja 250r but it was on the grass just in case, she did very well with the clutch and throttle control i'm proud of her.
Good ! I am not sure where you guys are located but you should see if there are classes that you she can take. I took the class and it was well worth it and you pass and you get your license which trust me is great!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think my biggest fear with teaching someone how to ride is more the first let go on the clutch. Ive seen too many videos where people who just start out put too much gas and dump the clutch, try to jump off but end up supermanning it. I think grass is great way to teach initial shifting skills

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nikolaos said:
I think my biggest fear with teaching someone how to ride is more the first let go on the clutch. Ive seen too many videos where people who just start out put too much gas and dump the clutch, try to jump off but end up supermanning it. I think grass is great way to teach initial shifting skills
:)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Nik, teach them to get the bike moving with the clutch ONLY first. roll it back and forth, using just the clutch. Once they can walk the bike with the clutch only, then they add the throttle in. At that step, I usually ask the person on the bike to blip the throttle and see how quickly the bike revs, and that they only need to twist it 1/32 of a turn or so to make a smooth start. Once they're comfortable with this, shifting is easy....

·
Registered
347 Posts
spooph said:
Nik, teach them to get the bike moving with the clutch ONLY first. roll it back and forth, using just the clutch. Once they can walk the bike with the clutch only, then they add the throttle in. At that step, I usually ask the person on the bike to blip the throttle and see how quickly the bike revs, and that they only need to twist it 1/32 of a turn or so to make a smooth start. Once they're comfortable with this, shifting is easy....
+1 here.. I was self taught by videos, but I learned by gently releasing the clutch in first until I started to roll, roll for a couple seconds, pull it back in, let gravity stop me, rinse, repeat.

Comes very naturally in this nature.

·
Registered
184 Posts
SWE37 said:
That's awesome!!

Some of those stunts - especially on grass - would take a LOT of skill
cool hey, you should check out his other videos on pavement.
This guy boggles my mind on how he even does some of those stunts.
Anyone know how they keep the bike going without the throttle. Is it in neutral? but they gain speed sometimes. Do they have a foot throttle...lol? Anyone?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Freak, that's that not really a fair comparison, that guy really know what he's doing.... It is a guy right? Not many guys rock white gear, so I was just wondering....

And they're geared really really short, like maybe a 72tooth sprocket on the rear, to give them all the fine tuning abilities on that rear wheel. To pop a wheelie on one of those is really easy.... Now to keep it there, at those speeds, that's SKILL! And most bikes today just have enough torque to keep it rolling with that short of gearing.... I don't know, maybe they have a trick up their sleeve - a throttle lock, maybe they take the spring off the throttle....

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
In our ms class a million years ago in 1987 haha.
They started out people one on and one buddy pushing the bike without it running to learn clutching and braking. It was a brillant tactic and worked very well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
zartan said:
In our ms class a million years ago in 1987 haha.
They started out people one on and one buddy pushing the bike without it running to learn clutching and braking. It was a brillant tactic and worked very well.
1987 wow your old... relax I'm only joking. Seriously though they still teach that. Did my course 2 years ago, and yes it is a great idea to start.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.