Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first bike and have been looking at gear for a while now. I am pretty set on the helmet(scorpion exo 1000) but I can't decide on a leather jacket. Also are riding pants or special shoes recommended or can I just wear jeans and some Jordans?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Well since you ask .... This is what is recommended:
1: Helmet (I have a dot and snell 2010 approved)
2: Jacket with armor ( I have mesh)
3: Gloves ( I own short cuffs)
4: pants: ( I don't own any yet-I am thinking overpants though)
5: Shoes: (don't own any yet- thus Friday I will be picking up a pair though.)

Different folks for different strokes. Safety is priority or at least it should.

:Sent via the NewNinja App:

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Buy the best you can afford. I have not had an accident, and I sure hope that never do, but I am prepared just in case.

I have an RST leather jacket and pants, RST Textile jacket and Draggin Jeans.
I have two different pairs of gloves that I wear depending on the weather, but both are classed as gauntlets(They go past the wrist) with armoured knuckles and special wear points on the palms.
And for the feet, I am always wearing my Alpine boots. Always make sure that your ankles are supported and protected, don't wear just shoes since if you come off it will save your ankles from being bent/smashed etc.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
HawkPride said:
I see. Does it matter what brand or am I just looking for comfortable stuff with protection?
Some would say gear that fits YOU. It needs to actually work in the event you are facing an accident. Wrong fitting gear, be it expensive will not protect you as well as a well fitted gear.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Great advice Nefrider, gold star!

Your gear should...

a)fit you properly. If you don't know how it should fit, ask the shop people. They will be able to give you some input, especially for the item you are looking at.

b) should have adequate protection for the type of riding you do. If you're just commuting you don't really need $500 kangaroo leather gloves (though it would never hurt!) but full length boots, gauntlet gloves, a well constructed armoured jacket, and the right helmet are absolutely key!

c) your gear should be comfortable! If it hurts, or binds or bugs you or makes your fingers go to sleep.... you wont wear it. And that jacket isn't going to do you any good sitting on your chair at home.

I've been through a crash and I came out of it completely unscathed thanks to my gear. Its a must!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
FHG2088 said:

Your gear should...

a)fit you properly. If you don't know how it should fit, ask the shop people. They will be able to give you some input, especially for the item you are looking at.

b) should have adequate protection for the type of riding you do. If you're just commuting you don't really need $500 kangaroo leather gloves (though it would never hurt!) but full length boots, gauntlet gloves, a well constructed armoured jacket, and the right helmet are absolutely key!

c) your gear should be comfortable! If it hurts, or binds or bugs you or makes your fingers go to sleep.... you wont wear it. And that jacket isn't going to do you any good sitting on your chair at home.

I've been through a crash and I came out of it completely unscathed thanks to my gear. Its a must!
I owe all my smarts to NN. :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
FHG2088 said:

Your gear should...

Glad you are here to share also!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.