Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, sounds funny right..."what do ya mean reverse rear axle?"
And probably not a real mod, but it is different.

Today a bought a new rear tire and had the dealer mount and balance it for me. So I had to take off the rear wheel and take it to them. (saved me twenty bucks) OK..no big deal. Soo one day i was reading on another forum and saw a video of someone with their axle installed what I thought was the wrong way. he had the axle nut and bolt on the left side of the bike, from the factory the axle is inserted from the left and the nut washer and cotter pin on the left with caliper and muffler. For as many times as i've read through the Service Manual, I never paid attention to this note...

NOTE
○Insert the axle from the right side of the wheel, and
tighten the axle nut.
•Install a new cotter pin.

After I got the tire home, I cleaned and lubed everything. When you insert the axle for the right side of the bike it makes lining up the caliper and rotor so much easier. It allows you to be able to hold the wheel and axle w/ caliper at the same time. Once the axle is almost completely thru the only other piece that has to be aligned is the adjuster on the left side. Re-install is a piece of cake and there are no problems with anything.

And no that is not armor all or tire shine on the tire. That is the natural luster after being cleaned and buffed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Hmm, was gonna ask "what are you on??" Both of our bikes have the cotter pin on the left hand side!!!
Must be a 'Merican thing!!! :p

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, was gonna ask "what are you on??" Both of our bikes have the cotter pin on the left hand side!!!
Must be a 'Merican thing!!! :p
Every 250 I've seen in the States has the nut and cotter pin on the right, even the new ones at the dealers. Not sure why that is.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Must give Ghost thumbs up.I also install the axle from right to left because of the simplisity of the installation.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
huh, thanks for the headsup! I've been doing left to right because for some reason I find it easier to hold the wheel up with my right hand and push the axle through with my left, but next time I do this, I'll try it your way and see how I like it. Tops to you Ghost!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts