1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I didn't realize changing the wind screen would
End up being such a pain :facepalm:

I removed top screws. Then on to bottom... Thats when I
Learned that the bottom screws have a back lock washer.
Said washer has dropped someplace inside the fairing... Even if I
Could find it. You can't reach the back of the screw to put it
Back on......... Help:eek:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Actually the washer you refer to is a well nut, sort of a rubber washer and nut all in one. The OEM well nuts suck, so the best thing to do is replace them. The bike has a total of 10 size M5 well nuts, that at some point and time will need replacing. I bought a couple of packs just to have them on hand when one gets lost, broken, etc.. The 2 lower ones on the windscreen are a pain to reuse but easier to replace. Just pop the old one out. While you're at it consider getting some replacements rivets too, just in case.

There are a number of sources where they can be purchased, however what I found was that even though the nuts can be purchased rather inexpensively (prices ranging from $0.58-$4.45 a piece) in most cases. the shipping and handling charges are high or you had to purchase over a certain amount to receive free shipping.

Since Cycle Gear was close by, I purchased a wind screen kit (a set of 8 well nuts, washers and screws which are size M5) for about $12.00. I preferred to use the OEM bolts instead of the ones that came with the kit.

[url]http://www.sportbikebolts.com//index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71_151&products_id=206[/URL]

[url]http://www.desmoparts.com/products/parts-catalog/ktm/m5-wellnuts[/URL]

[url]http://www.racebolts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=675_685_690[/URL]

[url]http://www.boltmotorcyclehardware.com/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=175[/URL]

Plastic Rivets

[url]http://www.boltmotorcyclehardware.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=39[/URL]
[url]http://www.boltmotorcyclehardware.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=174[/URL]

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I'm trying to say.... One of the backs fell off
Inside the fairing during removal . I've abandoned the project
But can't put the well nut back on ( for two reasons)
One, I can't find it , its dropped someplace in the front fairing.

Two, even if I had it, or a pack of them.. How is one supposed to
Get an arm up there to screw it in?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
It is a bear for sure... I did mine and lost one in that mess and was able to get out, get a friend with a small hands or disassemble.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

Replacing the well nuts is easy if you have new ones. Once you have removed the old ones, (wherever that may be) insert a new one. Before you piece the two parts together (fairing or bottom 2 windscreen), insert a new well nut in the hole where the old one was removed from, screw the bolt into the well nut. This compresses or mushrooms the nut a little. Remove the bolt then put the windscreen or fairings on. Put the bolts w/ washers on and tighten until snug. ( do not over tighten) With this method there is no need to reach up and hold the nut, it basically rives the nut in place so it is snug enough not to move when you tighten the bolt, the rubber on the well nut is sandwiched between the two pieces therefore not allowing it (the attached nut) to turn.

·
Registered
274 Posts

omg, you need little tiny arms..

i created a bunch of different tools for this.. McGyver style..

you need fishing line, some safety wire, one of those tool/bolt grabby things, a zip tie, some bubble gum (just to keep your mouth wet while you do this :)) and a lot of patience, and PERSEVERANCE..

only thru pure DETERMINATION can this be done. ..

Oh, and I think I finally loosened the nuts to the inside front fairing to access from above.. but I have tried to block out the whole experience.. might have to look up in here how i finally did it.. lol :)

Good luck

·
Registered
274 Posts
yeah .. wait.. i'm starting to remember..

All I was trying to do was PAINT the bolts.. lol.. removed them and that is how i got where you are now..

I ended up loosening the front inside cowling a little bit, and like, jammed a screwdriver or something in there to hold it just barely open enough to stick some needlenose pliers in and hold the bolt/well nut from behind..

I remember it being easier to go down than to go up...
(yeah yeah, i said that.. lol)

again, good luck.. :)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I broke mine by over-tightening them and fixed it by taping the nut to the fairing stay - to do this, you will have to remove the front fairing. I wrapped electrical tape around the nut and fairing stay 4 times, completely covering the front hole, and then poked a hole through it. This kept the nut in place. Also keep in mind, the bolts which screw into these nuts are longer than the bolts that hold the top of the windshield on, so don't get them mixed up...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks to zartan's post on painting the windsceen,(which turned out great) I used extra caution and got lucky, no problems. Anytime I want to do something I come here first. You guys(& gals) have saved me so much hassle. Many thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.