Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried several searches for "armor all", "tire shine", and "black magic" but did not get any results. I figured 'Riding Safety' was the best spot to ask this question. Mods please move/adjust this thread as needed.

So anyway...when I bought my bike one of the first things I noticed was the ridiculous amount of tire shine that the previous owner had sprayed onto the tires. You're probably thinking what I was thinking...WHY?! There didn't appear to be any method used to cover the tread that makes contact with the pavement. Most of it has come off from the center lines of each tire, but I am really afraid to lean into my turns cause that stuff is super slick.

Is there a way to remove this? I have heard that Dawn (the dish soap) can be used...but that's just as slick. Is the best method to just get a little dirty and rub dirt on it with my hands?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
best thing to do i think is what delta said.

you dont have to go to town on the tires but just rub them enough that some of it comes off. then ride it and gradually get further to the edges of the tire

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Any type of car wheel and tire cleaner will do. It will not only remove the tire shine but also remove grease, brake dust and road grime. Just scrub or wipe them all over well. Those types of contaminants and heat will also dull and dry out any tire. Regular washing of the wheels and tires keeps them looking nice. Dawn and hot water works well also. Just make sure you rinse them off good. Once dry you can buff the sidewalls with a rag for a natural luster.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you're saying I might have lost power when I removed all the stickers that were on the bike too? This is insane. I guess the tire shine was meant to prove that all the ponies were at the wheels...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't know about anybody else, but when I changed my stock grips. I got about and extra 20 mph and 2 sec. shave out the hole in the 1/4.
That's it, huh? Hmm.. I'm thinking your problem is you need more stickers. Stick em all over the place, should get you down to the time those grips should be getting you. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
your Results?

Alright excellent. Thanks for the quick replies everyone!
@Slimer08

Which methods did you end up trying? which one worked? I have tried de-greasers with a brush 3 times on each tire and nothing. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
@Slimer08

Which methods did you end up trying? which one worked? I have tried de-greasers with a brush 3 times on each tire and nothing. Any help will be appreciated.
Most degreasers will remove either silicone or water based tire shine after a good washing and scrubbing. Some tires have a natural luster to the rubber if it is cleaned real good and somewhat buffed. I've had tires that had a natural luster to them that looked like they may have had some tire shine on them, however they were just clean.

Be careful when using heavily concentrated degreasers or solvents, as they may also strip the tire of it's natural oils which prevent dry rotting.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
After i oil my chain i let it drip a while....
Then do a short ride up the street n back.
Tire n wheel is always covered with the oil.
So i make up a small container of dawn n water
N....with a clean rag wash the tire n wipe the wheel clean.
Also the plastic around the seat n under seat fender thingy n swingarm.
An oilie tire just don't seem to hold a corner well.
I've found myself doing some drifting if i don't take the time to clean it well.

:facepalm:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 18 of 18 Posts