Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
That sucks that he went down, looks like a long recovery, his knee is pretty jacked up.

The FF should have put the spider straps on the backboard before they moved him to the gurney.

Best wishes to him!!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Delta107 said:
..The FF should have put the spider straps on the backboard before they moved him to the gurney.
For short distance movement I don't think it was necessary. Neck and was immobilized and at least 4 people on that spineboard. Pt was in no danger of rolling off or his neck-head-chest axis not being straight.

This guy was lucky. He could have face planted on that rock wall. Shame he did not have any leg armor on.
Lower extremity injuries are the most common injuries sustained by motorcyclist involved in a crash. An estimated 97 percent of injured motorcyclists sustain more leg injuries than any other type of lower-extremity injury, with bone fractures being more common than soft-tissue injuries. Simple knee pads could have reduced his knee injury significantly.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I'm watching all of these videos, just shaking my head. These peeps need to learn how to ride, how to ride in a group, and what motorcycling is all about. It sucks for him, but damn, from my POV, that's a small price to pay for that kind of stupidity... Why am I railing on him? Let me justify my answer.

1.) Motorcycling is dangerous, and most of these vlogger types just don't get it. It's about showing themselves and the bike off. I know, I tried it, and stopped with a quickness... Inexperienced rider trying to juggle entertaining and keeping the bike on the road, on a known dangerous mountain, with obvious sand/gravel over the road....

2.) People following too close, not staying in the lane, poor riding technique, lack of appropriate gear. I know he and they all owned up to the mistakes, and used it as a learning experience, which is a step forward. Another step forward would be to find a few experienced riders to show them what's what... I made mistakes when I was first learning, and I liked to show the bike off and such, but it just seems that there was a complete lack of common sense during this whole thing. Had I only seen one of the videos, my call would have been different, but it was affirmed through all of them.

3.) Handling of the situation afterwards. What, were they all stoned, what's up with those slow-ass reactions. Each of the two times I've seen a buddy go off I was there with a quickness, yelling instructions to them, not to move, checking them, their helmet, their injuries, moving them and the bike to a safe location, non of this "Hey, are you OK?" stuff. He just went down dumbass!

OK, OK, I'll stop venting, I just hate seeing these types, giving the 250 and new riders a bad wrap, not even to mention ammunition for non-riders to chastise us with. These vloggers think they know what's what, but the experienced riders are out there riding, not vlogging, and I think many times they disillusion people into motorcycling and it's risks, proper techniques, etc....

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Wow Spooph...Got to you a lil bit?

I watched the rider on his video after his injury, during recovery. I heard him apologize, say a few things he did wrong, but never stressed the importance of proper training or wearing the right gear!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This crash makes me want to brush up on my techniques now, there will be mad twisties when I go to the Tail of the Dragon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
watching someone go down is scary. 2 days ago I was on a ride with a friend, and it was hot as balls. I called my friend to see where to meet, and before he hung up he asked what I was wearing out. "gloves, helmet, leather jacket, jeans" He wore a t-shirt, and an hour later he like... (from what I understand) got confused about the road ? (it was a Y turn thing, the left part going with the contour of the road and the right being a stop sign-merge sort of deal). anyway I guess he just went straight into some grass and dumped it.

he was going pretty slow, but I was behind him and saw the whole thing. He jumped back up before I could even pull over but still. Givin' him a hard time aalll the time for going t-shirt style. sigh.

ironically enough, watching some motorcycle vlogs a few years ago is what piqued my interest in riding. I want to put a camera in my face someday but I want to learn the bike first... I don't think having 1st person PoV spectator-ness is an excuse to not be a safe rider. not that any of you guys disagree with that :p

·
Registered
347 Posts
I know this thread is 120+ days old, but I do have a couple things to say-

I understand this video getting bashed on a bit, making people upset and what not, but as other motorcyclists it would seem it is our rightful duty to be happy he is ok and sustained only that much of a flesh wound and bruised up exterior, rather than be an agreement it was a small price to pay- any price is a price to pay; his knee was gashed open something tremendous, his bike is likely totaled, confidence destroyed (likely can lead to ANOTHER accident when he is more tense and furthermore scared from the trauma that ensued after this drop, maybe even making him lose interest in riding altogether).

It was a price to pay, perhaps for him being a new rider, unfamiliar with the road, new tires, exhausted from the four hour trip up, and general disconcert for his safety with next to no real gear on, and in this circumstance, perhaps above all being more interested in entertaining an audience (posting the video on vlogger forums, moto forums, ride diaries or youtube) instead of shutting up while negotiating turns or distances. There is absolutely some added risk to the entire risk we all already accept in riding our bikes, but I think there are plenty of ways to make video logging a hell of a lot more safe then sticking a flip cam in your face shield- like mounting a camera directly on your bike with no audio, or mounting it atop/side of your helmet with audio from another source, e.g. specially designed ear buds with added microphone and a recorder in your backpack.

I just don't want to see vlogging being looked down upon because this one poor fella went down on his own behalf, the camera and audio could have been no where on him, but if he was singing hendrix and reminding himself park rangers remind him of yogy the fricken bear whilst riding on such tight twisty roads, also while trying to take in all that scenery, the same outcome could easily be a reality.

So think about it- was it the new rider, or the new vlogger? Could be either. Just don't think anyone has the right to negatively speculate about what was stupid here or there, instead take it with a grain of salt and a lesson learned, and hope the guy does the most important things to allow him to safely ride from this point forward- check his bike and listen to what it is telling him before any ride, like his tires slipping, mirrors tight, gas, fluids, etc., and his own body- not too much weight on bike or himself, proper riding boots, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, etc.

In the end, what is more important, proving your point that everyone in the video is a newb and stupid or stoned and this or that, or hoping he is alright, reminding all of our own NN community to wear gear, and as one of the videos did, try and figure out what riding mistakes he might have made so we can also all learn from them too.

/bible

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Wow Blackout, that's a bit of a rant. I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying, except maybe for the last paragraph. I'm not trying to be stupid or aggravate you, you're a good guy with a good head on your shoulders, and I don't mean any disrespect....

I thought we were figuring out what he did wrong through all the comments, bashings, etc - to learn from. I mean, him not wearing gear, the way the situation was handled, the whole video/vlogging thing as an inexperienced rider and more are all factor which we have looked at, no? Did I miss something, it's a pretty old thread and my mem fails me....

Maybe you are concerned about the way in which we did it? Being harsh and such?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think he's saying all of those things, plus the fact that we shouldn't just bag out vloggers just for vlogging...?

·
Registered
347 Posts
spooph - I did not feel the need to single anyone out, as in, "SPOOPH YOU JERK!", I kind of just watched the videos (for the first time), felt horrible for the guy, saw the first few comments more or less wishing the best for him, and then just bam, you were ticked off at the whole idea of some buddies getting together for an awesome group ride with a sad, but given, likely preventable accident to end it.

The only real reason I could pick apart from your other reasons to be PO'd at the guy was that he was vlogging while riding. By 'real' reasons, I mean solid facts. We don't know if they were stoned or perhaps retarded after the accident, we don't know if they were inexperienced, we don't know if their group riding was unsafe or under par, it is all speculation from a few youtube videos. The only thing that was solid is that the guy had a camera strapped onto his body with a mic in his helmet and crashed. Didn't seem like much of a reason at all to me, so I took it a bit to heart.

With that said, yes you are correct, I wrote my first post with a bit of rage myself and it was hard to convey my point to begin with, I wasn't really sure what I was so mad about, something just bugged the hell out of me.

So, I hope this post makes more sense, swe37's got the head on the nail, simple, short and sweet.

And you, spooph, I think are a awesome fella, pure fackin' friend, and this nothing butta dumb argument to start, because in everything I wrote I also am speculating that you were singling out vloggers as well in this first place. This is an old thread and it was likely something I should have chosen to just have swallowed and then bit my tongue about, but I suppose it just was one of those mornings.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I chime in .............. this post originally to convey how easily you can make a mistake and how fast the consequences of that mistake follow it.

Ride safe and if not learn from your mistakes. Learn from others' mistakes lest you will follow in their footsteps.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Oh, right oh Blackout. That's fair. Sorry if I came across as despising vloggers, I didn't mean to, I vlog myself, occasionally. But whatev's.... Is there something remaining to be discussed? Not much one to blow something up beyond what it is, nor really to run....

Also, next time, if you're pissed off at me, just call me a jerk..... :p I'll call you a name, we'll bicker, maybe even fight, and when we're both done working out all the crapola, good and tired, we can get over it, move on, and laugh together - if we haven't been banned by then. And Felix can break out the group hug pic.... :p I prefer to work things out straight forward like, beating around the bush gets so freakin' tiring....

So tops to you sir!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Better to be pissed off than pissed on :D hehe

We're aok, and thank you onslaught for the superb thread, may I add. A little late, but by no means absent!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts