Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have noticed that bike in the rear feels like its slipping from under me. My bike was dropped under 10 mph recently but only the fairing was cracked. Every time I am going over 20 mph it feels like the behind will slip...not sure if any of you have had this and what you did to resolve it. I think the pressure is fine in the tires. 28F/32R

If the front is bent? Or alignment needs to be addressed?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
You might want to check chain tension, and make sure the tensioning bolts and axle bolts are still tight on the rear wheel. Also check and see if you maybe didn't loose a wheel weight - have the shop check it. If everything checks out, learn to just slide it... I remember on my stock tires it would feel this way all the time, I lived with it until I had to replace them, and then went with slightly stickier tires..

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Was it a hard drop/ Were you in a tight turn?

Check your frame mounting points at the suspension and swingarm to make sure you dont have any damage to the bushings. Other than that check your tires for tread wear, cracks in the sidewall and compound (soft or hard) rear wheel alignment ( use the swing arm guide, should be even on both sides) .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think it was hard of a drop. I was going maybe 5-10mph when I braked hard to avoid hitting the idiot in front of me so I fell to my right instead of hitting a car any anything. All I remember was that I fished tailed as I was locked up and it slipped under.

·
Registered
331 Posts
cubz08 said:
I think the pressure is fine in the tires. 28F/32R
Like I said many times the tire pressure ala manual is based on the MAX PAYLOAD of 175kg.I dont know how much you weight.Don't think near that 0.175 tons.Do reduce the pressure down.I'm 78kg and run 25F/28R.The tires will grip much better w/o secrefying the economic.Your arse will thank you for that to.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Often we were fooled that softer rubber will grip better.They tent to be but not that much.A tire will have good grip or not depend on it's compound.For example BT-039 have a compound harder then GT-501 or the IRC tires but they tent to grip better.Choose a tire with high mixture of silica and even bad grip when wet will be gone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I asked one of the local riders to ride my bike and he felt the same thing I did. In 2nd and 3rd it feels like the rear is slipping. He doesnt think its the tire but he cant figure out why or what it is either. He braked hard and didnt think it was the brakes. Any other suggestions.

He did think I should stiffn up my suspension as the dealer has it a the softess setting made for a 95 lbs girl lol

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Ruling out tires its time to look at the suspension and drive train. ( chain, clutch, gears, sprockets swingarm) How does the bike handle? If you know the problem occurs in 2nd & 3rd gear, then according to the service manual you could have the following problems
Clutch Operation Faulty:
Clutch slipping:
Friction plate worn or warped
Steel plate worn or warped
Clutch inner cable trouble
No clutch lever play
Clutch spring broken or weak
Clutch release mechanism trouble
Clutch hub or housing unevenly worn
Clutch not disengaging properly:
Clutch plate warped or too rough
Clutch spring compression uneven
Engine oil deteriorated
Engine oil viscosity too high
Engine oil level too high
Clutch housing frozen on drive shaft
Clutch release mechanism trouble
Clutch hub spline damaged
Clutch friction plate installed wrong
Clutch lever play excessive
Clutch hub nut loose

·
Registered
331 Posts
cubz08.This real story might point you in some direction.Maybe.

Just last weekend one of my mate had a very similar incident.Exept it happened on a track.He came to a curve,break hard,change a couple of gears down,lean and throutle hard mid corner like he did hundreds of time.This time his rear suddently slipped and he crashed.After a very long inspection we found a very tiny hole in the break line that only under hard rear breaking,a very small amount of breakfluid will spill on his rear tire.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Eric...sorry I could diciper what you are saying? Should I check my tire for brake fluid? I noticed while riding this morning that when I am on 3rd is when I feel it slipping the most and if I engine brake.

G

·
I have been trying to notice when this side to side wiggle happens. I noticed sometimes it's from poor condition of the pavement. And, on refection, this bike is brand new. The fault of the tires or others parts is very, very unlikely. So I'm resolved that the pavement has, hard to see but easy to feel, faults or something like that. It's a light nimble bike so, IMO, it's very easy to feel the smallest thing. I have never felt, at all, that the tire wanted to slip in the forward direction, however. I have IRC tires that came on the bike.
Sleepy

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Most roads regardless of how smooth they look, have longitudinal grooves. Some wide, some small. Depending on what part of the country or what part of the world you live in, you will see different types of road surfaces and conditions. Because the Ninja has narrow tires it is easy for it to do what some call tramming or tramlining. That is where the tire rides in and up or up and over a groove, giving the feeling like the rear or whole vehicle is moving from side to side. It's like going over a grated bridge, you get the side to side movement because the tires are riding on grooves int the metal. Add in the crown of the road, tar patches, sand, loose pavement, water, antifreeze, oil, transmission fluid, rubber residue, and whatever else rolls across the road, there is no telling what is the actual cause of lateral slipping. The remedy? Be more observant of the road surface your are riding on, take the appropriate action for the riding condition, then...just lean wit it, rock wit it, roll wit it!! 8)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.