Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of making my own rear hugger... Here in South Africa, we don't yet have such a big market for the 250, so no one is brining the much needed aftermarket parts in.
and for me to order one and have it shipped would be silly... costs around 8 000 rands to get the a Tec hugger from Japan.

so I have been giving it some thought, and the solution for me would be to make one from fibreglass.
I have an idea on how to do it, and I know how I want it to look.
but before I get started on it, I'd just like to find out if anyone has done something like this and if there is any tricky bits to getting it done?:ermm:

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alls I can say is good luck! You might want to look into Scott's Hugger design: [url]http://www.newninja.com/forums/f98/scotts-hugger-install-5716.html[/URL]

YEP THANKS BUDDY:thumb:, IVE LOOKED AT SCOTTS HUGGER, AND ITS NOT EXACTLY WHAT IM LOOKING FOR. I WANT THE HUGGER TO MAKE THE SWING ARM LOOK BIGGER TOO, LIKE THE A-TEC HUGGER.

ITS HARD HERE IN SA TO GET HOLD OF ALL THE SWEET DEALS.:nonono:

SO IM MAKING MY OWN DESIGN, PLUS ILL BE MAKING A RE-USEADLE MOLD, SO I CAN SHARE IT WITH OTHER 250 RIDERS HERE IN SA.

BUT THIS I CAN ONLY DO OVER THE DECEMBER HOLIDAYS, SO ILL PUT SOME PICS UP OF THE BUILD THEN.:popcorn:

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Have you checked out the Sportisi rear huggers from Indonesia? They are well done and make a hell of a difference to the look of the bike.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I was told by the guy at SProtisimoto USA was it is a hit and miss part. In other words, some come out great some come out crap, which is why I backed off of that idea...

i hear you brother, i on the other hand read on another forum that you order stuff and pay for it, but it never gets to you, so im not sure about it either.

on the plus side, ive always been a tinker, it runs in my family. so for me to do somthing like this is more than just making my bike look better.

but i must say looking at what they doing over there gives me more ideas on what im going to do with my bike, so it does help in the end.

thanks guys

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quik update

Okay guys, I must admit, I was very curios to find out what it would cost me to import a few items from "over da sea". turns out to be a stunner.:ermm:

to get a hugger , under tail, bubble screen, and led turn signals into south Africa will cost me about $ 538 (American dollars), which comes to the total amount of R 4 411.00 (South African Rands), and that's half of my salary every month....:facepalm:

so I don't know if it would be worth it to try and order the things I need, cause I'm going to have to save for it, and it's going to take me a few months.

on the other hand, making my own under tail and hugger , will cost me about R 500, and give me the joy of saying "I made that".:thumb:

· Registered
928 Posts
lol gotcha!

I agree Ant...I wouldn't pay that for tall that stuff either... I would make a hugger, but I honestly have no idea of even where to start with it lol

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay dudes, the time is near. this is my pva....(plan van action)

I'm going to use a technique that I saw in a book about sculpting, it goes like this, first step is to make a skeleton structure that would be sturdy enough to hold an x amount of pottery clay. then to sculpt the "positive", in this case the hugger, out of clay, doing all the finishing touches on the clay. basically making the end product in clay.
after that comes the "negative", which is the mould. I'm going to make my mould from fibreglass.
for the hugger I thought it best to split the mould in two, this is done easily with a piece of sheet metal.

the hardest part of all of this will be to get the clay positive right, and to design it in such a way that it would fit snug and not be a mission to install.
so I'm going to make the clay positive on my bike. will just have to cover all the bits with plastic or something so that the clay doesn't mess-up everything.

so wish me luck, I'm starting next week, will post pic's afterwards.:thumb:

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
"Lekker??" SA for something?? :p

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Lol, we have one word descriptions too, you could have just said Awesome Spooph!!!

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i got all the needed materials, and i found a mould maker to help me out and show me the tricks of the trade, but i have not started yet. still waiting to go on leave, so but by the 28th of this month it sould be done, and depending on how long it takes and how much materials i have left, ill try and make an undertail too...:thumb:

but ill take lost of pics and start another thread in the how to section, with lots of detail...... so that other tinkers can try there hand too.;)

Oh i forgot to mention, im going to use rubber and fiber glass for the mould, and not just the fiberglass.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.