Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Every once in a while, as my perusing the streets, I'll go to up-shift and I'll find myself in free-rev once I've let the clutch out. It doesn't happen all the time but still I'm wondering... Is there something to be concerned about or am I just not kicking the pedal up hard enough? It's not like this only happens going from 1st to 2nd, because that would be more understandable. If it's just a weak toe problem then it's just on me. I should also mention the neutral light DOESN'T come on when this happens..

It was kind of embarrassing the first couple times this happened.... there were people around... XD

Does anyone else experience this ever or know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
274 Posts
yeah ^^ false neutrals.
1. prob not shifting hard enough
2. oil changes are good ideas
3. check the clutch cable

on my track 250 ninja, the bike kept doing that at bad times, like going down the straight, and i am railing and go to shift and get a false neutral. it sucks at full throttle

We adjusted my clutch cable and it seemed to fix the problem. It bascially was not completely disengaging the clutch, so on a quick shift, it was slipping back to where the clutch was engaged - thus taking the bike out of gear.

even the clutch lever may need a slight adjustment, like it is possible you are not letting out all the way before you roll on the throtte, due to the placement of your hand and the clutch lever. ..

(disclaimer, just my $.02 >> while my full understanding of this is weak, i know that problem was fixed by getting clutch cable adjusted correctly)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah ^^ false neutrals.
1. prob not shifting hard enough
2. oil changes are good ideas Check
3. check the clutch cable

on my track 250 ninja, the bike kept doing that at bad times, like going down the straight, and i am railing and go to shift and get a false neutral. it sucks at full throttle

We adjusted my clutch cable and it seemed to fix the problem. It bascially was not completely disengaging the clutch, so on a quick shift, it was slipping back to where the clutch was engaged - thus taking the bike out of gear.

even the clutch lever may need a slight adjustment, like it is possible you are not letting out all the way before you roll on the throttle, due to the placement of your hand and the clutch lever. ..

(disclaimer, just my $.02 >> while my full understanding of this is weak, i know that problem was fixed by getting clutch cable adjusted correctly)
Good advice. I'll have to bring the bike by the shop sometime (when it's warmer!) to see what they will do for it. But it could be just a combination of weak toe and not releasing the clutch all the way before resuming by race against time. I'll just have to play with it and see what makes the most sense. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
lol, does it still go from 6th to 1st? And yes, it is common for the bike to show a false neutral. After some time you won't need the light, and/or have solid neutral shifts to where this doesn't happen anymore....

·
Registered
656 Posts
False neutral, weak toe. Happens to me when I'm lazy with the shifter.

Give it some beans!

Get a man ankle and shift like you want to kick someone in the face for touching your girl or er I mean bike;D.

Its happened to me when I'm accelerating like a demon and I don't hit the shifter hard enough, you gotta get on it a bit you wont break the thing trust me ;).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get a man ankle and shift like you want to kick someone in the face for touching your girl or er I mean bike;D.

Its happened to me when I'm accelerating like a demon and I don't hit the shifter hard enough, you gotta get on it a bit you wont break the thing trust me ;).
lol. Sorry I haven't responded until now. Classes have been... well... making me sore.

I brought the bike to my local shop this past week and mentioned my "problem" with false neutrals. After looking at it, the mechanic wrote the following in my invoice:

"I cleaned and lubricated the pivot for the shifter lever. During the test ride, I had no issues shifting. We can adjust the shifter lever to suit the customer if needed."

The thing is, it doesn't happen all the time, so I'm not entirely surprised he didn't experience it. But just on the way home today, I started from a stoplight and shifted into second and continued to accelerate, after a few thousand RPM's, the bike literally "fell" out of gear into neutral. So I think whatever it is, it's getting worse. I still get the false neutrals also.

It's got me thinking two things, either something is actually wrong, or I'm simply a failure. Whichever it is, it's getting really annoying!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I haven't yet, but that will be my next venture if it will solve my problem. Like I said, most of the time I don't have a problem kicking the lever so I'm not so sure it's the source. Can I just do it at home? I've never really tinkered around with the mechanics of motorcycles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.