Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend gave me his bike. It is a 2001 ninja 250 that has been set up for land speed racing. He built the bike .But never finished. So he gave it to me to finish. I hope to set a record with it before Maxton closes .

It is ruff and needs a lot of details worked out.Like it dose not run.BUT the work he has done is great. The exhaust is a work of art. Megaphone pipes hand made. And the tank is so cool. He was planning on sitting on the bike.I will change the pegs and bars so I can lay flat on the tank.

I have to finish my bike for April and Drag race (I hope) on March 6th .So progress will be some what slow. I will take some pics today .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spent all day working on the new bike. The old bike is almost ready .waiting for parts. So I got this thing going.
Good... the exhaust is the bomb. Hand made 2 into 2 streight megaphone. I will make a video of this thing singing at 15000 rpm.
Next is the tank. It makes the bike I will be able to get very low and aerodynamicly clean .

Bad.... It won't start. It has spark but won't even fire on starting fluiid. I will have to start with basics abd get it going. It only has 1700 miles on it.

The seat is way to low. Comfort is not an issue. But I need to be able to shift and ride the thing.

So I will have to make a new rear seat and cowl .

It has 16 inch wheels. I think I will have to change ti 17 because of tire selection.not a big deal since it needs tires anyhow.And I have a spair set of 17 inch rims.

Problem is I can bairly aford one bike two bikes is way over the top for my budget.I hope to run it in June or September.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which miss busa? The fastest women on the planet or one of the other amazing ladys I know that roll over 200 mph?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did that one time on a bicycle . Hit the pavement butt first HAHA

I got home tonight determined to get the bike running. I just want to hear the twin megaphones. I cranked and cranked, sprayed starting fluid and with full throttle and starting fluid it speeds up but not even a back fire.

Finally I give up . Pull the plugs to check them and check spark and check compression.

The number 1 cylinder has 45 psi.Number 2 has 80 maybe. Not enough to even fire . So I will pull the engine down and see what is going on. I suspect stuck rings and cylinder rust. O well Its not like I have not done this before.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also got a 1988 ninja 250 with 130 THOUSAND miles on it . The engine has a ticking sound and the owner was looking to get a new ninja .

I spent hours cleaning it up and I will take it apart and fix it wen I get a chance. Then I will ride it till I can find it a good home..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Miss Busa is a blogger, X:
The Girl Gets Around (on a BMW S1000RR)

I like her writing, and she's written on her blog that she wants to do landspeed racing this year at Maxton, so I was just giving you a heads up, I guess....

You're becoming quite the 250 collector, eh? What are you up to now? 3? That's awesome! And that black and red one looks sick! 130K, eh? that's awesome! What do you think the click is?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will check it out. She better be fast the 1000 cc records are over 200 and the busa reccords start at 220 and go to 275 mph .And this is the last year for Maxton.

I will have to part with the black and red 88 but only after I go through it.sounds like chain tensioner.
The two bike team has been a plan for a while. I just did not have enough time .

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the engine down last night. The rings are stuck with carbon. I will one day get a BRT-TIS and then I can do pistons.But for now I just want to get it running .So I will clean up the head and pistons .Then go through the carbs. Fun fun fun...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I also got a 1988 ninja 250 with 130 THOUSAND miles on it . The engine has a ticking sound and the owner was looking to get a new ninja .

I spent hours cleaning it up and I will take it apart and fix it wen I get a chance. Then I will ride it till I can find it a good home..
Deals Gap!! Even if you have to put it in the van.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish I had time to do the Deals gap ride with you guys. Scorch has my tires so at least I will be there in spirit.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the 2001 race bike up and running . The engine is stock . I jetted the carbs for pod filters and the open exhaust ..I am running stock gearing .I will have lots of time to check plugs and change jets and gears at the track . It should be fun trying to go 104 mph with out any fairing.
THe custom exhaust is louder than ANY bike I have ever heard. At 120 DB that is pain and about 3500 RPM at 7000 RPM the sound is so loud I cant hear it anymore. I cant wait to run down the track at over 12000 RPM the sound should carry for miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No back pressure BUT the resonance should be perfect.the length is taken from the old honda 500 four cylinder that the same bore and stroke as our 250.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.