Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any of you guys got a clunk sound from 1st gear to 2nd gear? It's smooth for 2nd to 3rd and the rest. I guess my timing wasn't right or something...

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
I've had the same thing numerous times, I think its a characteristic of the gearbox, but I may be wrong!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I did get that when I changed gears from neutral to first.. all that went away with zynthetic oil.. now gear changin is very smooth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I get that clunk between first and second going up and down. I have even started slipping the clutch a bit more when shifting inbetween those two but I think I will have to get the crappy oil out and some synthetic in.

I was going to wait for the 6000km service but I might do it when I get home.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohh i see, it's annoying that's why, i heard your bike have to be like 1500 miles before you change it to synthetic oil, which i still have alot to cover hehe.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
I'm not entirely sure, but the oil we put in may have been semi-synthetic, which I have seen somewhere recommended as something like a break-in time for full synthetic, it's supposedly like going cold turkey if you go full synt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well even when you are from neutral to 1st and pick up from 1st to 2nd, you still hear it no matter how fast the speed is...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yea mine does the same thing. It makes that clunk because you are bypassing neutral. No worries. But like Razorback said, when downshifting to 1st or neutral from 2nd make sure you are going under 15-20mph else it's hard on the gearbox.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Razor and Pilot are partially correct. More specifically, it has to do with the input and output differences of your gearbox - ie, how fast the side connected to the clutch, and therefor engine is going vs. how fast the side connected to the chain and rear wheel are going.

Next time, when you're at a stop light and the bike is idling in Neutral, pull in the clutch, count 1.5 seconds, and then shift into 1st. It won't clunk.

When you shift from 1st to 2nd, you're timing has to be EXACT to get it not to klunk.. If I were to estimate shift time, I would say somewhere between 700ms and 1.2 sec. If you shift too fast at lower RPM's, you don't give the engine, and there for the input shaft, time to slow down and re-match the output shaft (rear wheel). Which causes the dog-teeth to engage very harshly and make a loud "klunk" sound.

This is completely dependent on how wide the ratios are, (obviously ALL the same for the 250, regardless of final ratio - sprocket and chain). I've found 1st-2nd being a very large difference. 1st is Extremely short, and 2nd is quite a bit taller. The difference between 1st and 2nd being much larger than 2nd to 3rd.

So really give that engine some time to slow down before you shift.... See if this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts