Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at doing some mods to my bike here in the coming weeks. This is what all I want to do:

1) Integrated Tail Lights
2) Flushmount Front Blinkers
3) Fender Eliminator
4) Double Bubble Windscreen
5) Brake Lamp Mod
6) Sprockets & Chain
7) Muffler

Now for the questions:

1) Integrated Tail Lights - are the only option for the 2009 ninja the Bike Monkey ones? I like the look but was just curious if there were any other options available for my bike to compare against. I went to Clear Alternatives website and couldn't find any for the '09.

2) Brake Lamp Mod - Would the Brake Lamp Mod work with the Integrated Tail Lights? If so should I do this Mod with the integrated lights?

3) Fender Eliminator - I have read that the fender eliminator kit it supposed 2 come with some undertail thing so I was wondering does this have everything that I need? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260521282248&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

4) Windscreen - How hard is it to replace my stock windscreen with a double bubble one?

5) Sprockets - I am wanting to change my sprockets to gain some top end speed and I did my research and saw that I need to change the size of the rear sprocket to a smaller one and make my front one bigger so my question is what size do I need to make them?

6) Muffler - I am thinking about doing Red Riders $35 thing because after all of these mods I won't have the money to rejet at the moment. But I was looking at the HMF slip on for $199 will I need 2 rejet if I do either one of these and If I do it and can't afford to rejet will it harm my bike? Or should I wait until I can rejet to do the exhaust as well? Also a friend told me not 2 get a slip on unless I'm going replace the whole exhaust is this correct?

Sorry for all of the questions this will be the first time messing with my bike except for doing my tune up but thanks in advance

Also any tips on gaining some top end that doesnt cost an arm and a leg is welcome.

-Rick

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
RD423 said:
I am looking at doing some mods to my bike here in the coming weeks. This is what all I want to do:

1) Integrated Tail Lights
2) Flushmount Front Blinkers
3) Fender Eliminator
4) Double Bubble Windscreen
5) Brake Lamp Mod
6) Sprockets & Chain
7) Muffler

Now for the questions:

1) Integrated Tail Lights - are the only option for the 2009 ninja the Bike Monkey ones? I like the look but was just curious if there were any other options available for my bike to compare against. I went to Clear Alternatives website and couldn't find any for the '09.
I've only seen the bike monkeyones, Zandit and crispy have a set I'm pretty sure, they look good. Don't forget that 09 is same as 08 when shopping for parts... search for 'Enter the dragon' its Zandits modding thread I'm pretty sure :D

2) Brake Lamp Mod - Would the Brake Lamp Mod work with the Integrated Tail Lights? If so should I do this Mod with the integrated lights?
Not sure, but would imagine so... its just a integrated unit, nothing special.

3) Fender Eliminator - I have read that the fender eliminator kit it supposed 2 come with some undertail thing so I was wondering does this have everything that I need? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260521282248&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Looks like it has everything, by 'undertail thing' do you mean something to cover up where the stock one was?

4) Windscreen - How hard is it to replace my stock windscreen with a double bubble one?
Easy, just don't lose the little grommets that are with the screws.

5) Sprockets - I am wanting to change my sprockets to gain some top end speed and I did my research and saw that I need to change the size of the rear sprocket to a smaller one and make my front one bigger so my question is what size do I need to make them?
Do a search for 16T or 14T sprocket change, think there are lots of threads on it.

6) Muffler - I am thinking about doing Red Riders $35 thing because after all of these mods I won't have the money to rejet at the moment. But I was looking at the HMF slip on for $199 will I need 2 rejet if I do either one of these and If I do it and can't afford to rejet will it harm my bike? Or should I wait until I can rejet to do the exhaust as well? Also a friend told me not 2 get a slip on unless I'm going replace the whole exhaust is this correct?

Sorry for all of the questions this will be the first time messing with my bike except for doing my tune up but thanks in advance

Also any tips on gaining some top end that doesnt cost an arm and a leg is welcome.

-Rick
No need to rejet, you can shim, just do a search for shimming the needles... Few guys on here with HMF cans, they should just slid straight onto the stock headers. Stick the exhaust on, remove the snorkal and shim the needles will help you along a bit!

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Felix,

In your opinion, when it comes 2 my exhaust, should I just do Red Riders $35 muffler until I get the money to redo my whole exhaust system or would a slip on for now be good and then just do the exhaust later when I get the money?

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
If you have the skills and tools, I would have shortened the exhaust, painted it black, and done the muffler pack mod ($36).

I didn't have the skills or tools... so I bought a full exhaust (header as well as muffler). Over here they are expensive and there was a limited range anyway, so I ordered from the US, don't regret it one bit, but it cost the best part of AU$700.

Felix

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have the skills to shorten it, but my friend and I was gonna do the mod to it via Red Riders instructions and I am going to save up 2 do the full exhaust. But wasn't sure if I should just go ahead and get a slip on or what. Thanks for all of your help.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Hey RD, welcome to the site!
Felix is right regarding the integrated tail light, I do have it (so does crispy!)and I would recommend the clear lens, as the smoked one does hide the indicators a little. also if you do this mod, make sure you get a variable load flasher relay that is suitable for LED's, as the standard one makes the indicators flash too quickly, which also makes them harder to see from a cagers point of view.

As for the fender eliminator, just grab a Dremel and do a fenderectomy, and cut that sucker off!!!! If you do the integrated taillight first you won't need the indicator stalks like in Felix's pic.

As for the exhaust, if you want to go down the road of a slip-on, as Felix said, you will only need to shim the carbies, not re-jet, also remove the snorkel too. However if you are gonna do this, why mod the standard exhaust in the first place? I'm only asking cause if you fuck it up, you don't have an exhaust left!!!

Good luck with it all, and don't forget to post pics!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I was asking about modding my muffler compared 2 getting a slip on because I don't have the full money to do the whole exhaust right now. I just have the money to get a slip on (I'm thinking about the HMF cheapest I've seen plus I like the sound from the videos here.) not the full exhaust system and a friend told me that I should do the whole exhaust not just a slip on. If I do the slip on for now can I go back and get the whole exhaust system later?

On that note, what is the difference between elliptical and slip on shapes?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
RD, concerning the exhaust, the slip-ons/muffler can only affects your top-end (9,000-Redline rpm), so you can mod your stock muffler and shim the needles and you'll be fine. New headers and mid-pipe (the other part of a "full system") will decrease the pressure along the entire rev range, meaning you add more fuel/air and gain performance.

The reason your friend says to just get a full system is because that typically considered "doing it right" - if you're going for performance, do the whole thing or don't do it at all. In different words this also means: You can change any one single part of the system, as long as you don't have unrealistic expectations of the results. For instance, don't just change the muffler can (slip on), and expect a massive boost in performance. For that you need a whole system....

So go ahead, mod the stock can, shim the needles, and when you get the monies, spring for the header/mid pipe and a re-jet... :p

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your advice and input. I am going 2 do all of that except shim the needles, I am afraid 2 do it myself, I see that there are a few users that are in my area that I might see how much they would charge me 2 do that. But my friend and I might try it, I'm just nervous about doing that mod but Ill know when the time comes, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
For shimming, theres a really good "how to" either on here on on Kawiforums, I can't remember where I got it from, mind you I had someone else do it for me anyway!!!

As for the relay flasher, I got it from a place called Bursons, and it was branded Narva, however I don't believe either of those are available in the US. I've heard heaps about your radio shack, so that may be the best one for you, aor any auto electical place should be able to source it for you, just take in the one off the bike and ask for the same style, only with the variable load suitable for LEDs

·
Registered
874 Posts
I don't have a relay on mine, and it works just fine, but sometimes they wont blink (stay solid) if im in neutal for a long time, but other that they work fine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once again guys thx a lot there is a wealth of knowledge here about our "little" 250's. I was actually thinking about selling my bike and trying to get a 600 until I found this site and all of the mods on here is everything that I wanted to do to my bike but couldn't find the resources on where to order things from and/or how to do it. Now that I know that there are a few things that I can do to gain top end speed I will definately keep it now. I am like the only 250 so when I'm riding with friends I get left on the freeway cuz they are cruising at around 110 and I'm only 90-95 ish. So once I do my cosmetic mods I'm changing my sprockets out. I'm so excited cuz my bike is going to be "my" bike now & not stock. Once again thx guys from an excited 250 owner.

I read over the how to on shimming the needles but I just don't think that is something that I feel comfortable doing, as it does seem fairly simple just not sure that I can do it without messing something up cuz I here that is a fragile area.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ordered almost all of my stuff today. Everything except my front flushmount blinkers & my K&N air filter & my wheel tape. I think I am going to wait on my double bubble windscreen.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Welcome RD423! how long will you be keeping the bike for? is it a permanent additon to your riding or will you be getting a new bike within the next year?

if your going to get another bike within the next year i say dont go for the full system exhaust as you wont get your money back for that years worth of riding.

If your going to keep it for a while may i reccomend the akrapovic system as they are the best quality exhausts on the market.

again emoclew to the site :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At first I wasn't planning on keeping it long, which is why it has taken me a year b4 I started doing any mods, but I think it will be a bike that I pass down 2 the kids and get them learning 2 ride on. I have a step son that is 12 so I think it will be his b4 long. So until that time it's going 2 be mine and it isn't going anywhere. but I decided 2 just go with a slip on instead of a full exhaust.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.