Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently wiped out going like 20km/h on some sand and my insurance company wants to punish me for this. So screw them, I'm fixing the bike myself.

Most the stuff I can do, like buy a new mirror and fix bent levers and things as I'm a welder/sheet metal worker:thumb:Only thing I'm sorta lost on is taking care of all the scratches on the cowling. I have a few questions about this.

1. Is the plastic the poured a solid colour? (Not just a coat of red paint on top of white plastic?)

2. Can I buff out scratches? Obviously I'm not expecting it to look brand new, but can I use something to make it look better?

3. Where is the best place to buy replacement parts. And no, not the dealership

4. The bike fell right on the shifter, is it possible to have any damage to the gears? ( not really a mechanic, so idunno lol )

·
Registered
8 Posts
The right and left upper fairing (near the turn signal) run around $250. I twisted my ankle backing in to my area and laid it down on a brick retainer, cracking a nice portion of it.

He's a picture: https://www.dropbox.com/sm/create/Camera%20Uploads/2012-05-12%2018.10.00.jpg

I carved it out with a Dremmel tool, then used expoxy putty, then a covering of ABS cement. About two to three layers, then sanded it down. On the back side it's about 6 coats large, for extra structual integrity. One day I'll get down to sanding it further and repainting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to have creds to see the pics, mind uploading it to your NN album, or attaching it directly to a reply?

I attached a couple on the attachment section. We have the original cracks, then repaired, and mostly sanded down.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
ha! A whole lot better than ~$500 for a new fairing...
Aren't we exaggerating a bit, it's only $259 for that one. I'm sure I can just whip that out in a fat stack of twenties.

When it cracked all the way through, that's what gave me a lot of trouble. I had to gob that. on like it was no tomorrow so it would hold. The back is just a huge raised area of epoxy putty and ABS cement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.