Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow, Friday the 13th, will be the 50th anniversary of the Friday the 13th motorcycle rally in Port Dover, Ontario. Not 50 years, but 50 Friday 13s so far and counting. Since 1981, motorcyclists and fans of bikes have been meeting in this tiny port town, regardless of the weather or time of year. Of course, this being August and the forecast being awesome for tomorrow, there will likely be a record crowd. A typical busy turn out brings about 12,000 motorcycles and 100,000 people to this town with a regular population of 5,527!

Pics to follow. If you're close, go!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
wow that sounds great :) would love to do something like that!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a short newspaper article on today's event:

THOUSANDS OF BIKERS CONVERGE ON DOVER

THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR
People watchers, bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts descended on Port Dover today for the 50th Friday the 13th festival.
Elbow room was in short supply as a litany of sun-seekers came to look — and be seen.
Among them were an estimated 20,000 bikes sprinkled throughout the sun-drenched streets.
Although some took to the beach to escape the soaring temperatures, most were happy to stay in the crowded street where the action was.
Organizers, who estimated more than 3,000 garbage bags would be thrown away today, expected it to be the biggest gathering in the event’s history, topping 150,000 people.
This comes after the founding event took place with a party of 25 bikers.
Said Bill Dainard, who has made it out to every Friday the 13 for the past six years: “The camaraderie is the best part. There’s no pressure, there’s no schedule. We just walk around, look at bikes, look at people and meet friends.”

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Hahaha!!! I love how they gauge the success of an event by the amount of garbage they throw out!!!
Sounds like an awesome event Boar, better get some pics up soon!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
As reported by the newspaper: lots of bikes. I've been on a few group rides, charity events, where between 200-500 bikes show up and that always looked like a big group. It's hard to explain what 20,000 bikes looks like!

By 3:00 am the town of Port Dover is closed to all car/truck traffic, only bikes are allowed in. The bikes line Main St on both sides and one row down the middle for about 3 km (1.8 miles) and with bikes parked on the next road over and many side streets connecting to Main, I'd estimate about 6 kms (3.8 miles) of motorcycles lining the road in rows of two or three.

Port Dover is about 150 km (94 miles) from my house and it gets busy there early. My three neighbours and I got away at the crack of dawn.

After a stop for breakfast, the sun was rising and we could see it was foggy. Rode in fog the whole way to Dover. The first bit on back roads, but as we got closer on the main roads, the build in bike traffic was obvious, and everyone's mood was great!
This is where we parked, at 8:45 am and already about 1 km from the center of town.

American Eagle badges:

Lots of odd deails, check the kickstand:

Spike the bike, I'd be in the hospital first time I tried to wash this:

The Crowd:

The cops:

As huge as the crowd was, the mood was the lightest and most fun of any place I've ever been. It was so laid back and you could just feel that vibe everywhere you walked. There is an incredible diversity in the group and in the bikes. There were scooters, HDs, sport bikes and dual sports, off road, vintage, European you name it and the crowd was even more diverse. Young and old, weekend warriors, Vet groups and social clubs, a few outlaw motorcycle gang knobs, lots of average joes, and a few real "characters":

We spent about 6 and a half hours walking around and taking in the sights. Bikes were coming and going from town the whole time.

And, of course, I did find a few little Ninjas hidden among the other bikes (I counted 8 including mine):

This is me, my neighbours, and our bikes:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Haha What great picts.Thank you for sharing. I am in a town of 3000+ and I think we would pee ourselves if that many peeps showed up to our little town.. Good job to the merchants who can handle this. It looks like a good crowd! :)!! and lots of fun.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Love it! id like to go to something like that one day! i might go to Faro bike rally :D

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
spooph would have one of his breakdowns.... the ones where he gets arrested for indecent exposure

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
awesome video, and some seriously cool bikes! I really dig the copper chopper and that orange/brown Harley Bobber! Also, excellent choice in music! There is just something about that song that gives me a goosebumps every time I listen to it...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks spooph. Someone posted that Bad Company cover in the Radom Video thread(I think) awhile back, and I knew right away I'd be using it. Thanks to whoever did that!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Port Dover looks like an event 'to do' at some point. Bit of a drive for us but hey, good excuse to get on the bike, right?
Interesting version of Bad Company. It sounds like Nickelback but I couldn't find a copy on Youtube or by anyone else for that matter. Who does it?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Band is "Five Finger Death Punch"

And yes, even from Ottawa, Friday the 13th in Dover is something you gotta see at least once.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, no more Friday 13 this year so this will have to be next year. Man I can't believe we're almost in August already. :banghead:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts