20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there i just put a slip on pipe on my 250

it has some poping sound when i decellerate
not too bad, i shimme dneedles and remove kleen air parts any ideas

·
Registered
243 Posts
My guess diagnoses it as a "muffler crack". It happens with a lot of aftermarket muffler/exhaust systems....There's nothing wrong with it, just annoying to some people. I actually prefer having a crackling muffler :p

On the other hand - it could be backfiring? Idk enough about these ninja's to make that a fair assumption.

This isn't a great quality video, but you can hear the mufflers crackling as he revs the engine.
YouTube - Cobalt SS Dual Outlet Exhaust Loudmouth II

Are you talking about something like this?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
wow, after doing some searching, I couldn't find anything... I know we've covered this a bunch before, so I'll just restate the known problem.

This popping you're describing can be the result of a lot of different things.

-overly-rich
-kleen air system recycling oil vapors into the intake
-overly-lean
-spark/ignition issue
-leaky exhaust valves

However, more than likely you're "problem" is that the main jet is slightly too rich, and the popping is unburned gas exploding in the exhaust system. It was probably this way from the factory but the stock exhaust is so quiet you didn't hear it. With the new slip-on it's much easier to hear.

It's not going to damage anything, and is no cause for concern. If it bothers you, I recommend you take it to a shop and ask them to dyno-tune the bike, and even then, it might still have it - just a function of carbs in general, especially a CV carb. You could also conceivably tune this pop out of the exhaust, but it might be dangerous in that you're going to have to go quite lean to achieve that, which could lead to a burned valve, but that's all in an extreme case scenario.

I personally like the sound, because it's very much like race bike, but you might be different. What would you like to do with the sound, and maybe we can provide some more options?

NOTE: Posting in 2 different places on the forum, about the same thing is a silly way to get a reaction...

·
Registered
243 Posts
ah, yes - I forgot to mention it is OFTEN the result of running too rich. Thanks for clearing that up Spooph - nice post.

Again, I like the crackle. XD

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks spooph and jtgrenier, for advice like u said i dont mind the poping , just hope im not hurting the bike,like u said spooph, if it wont hurt the bike then i wont worrie about it..it only has 1800 miles......but man with the slip on it can really punchpower in low mid range...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts