Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all!

My newest mod is now polished lip wheels.

Very Very easy mod and worlds different in looks and well the pics speak for themselves...

all you need is

1. Quality Masking Tape ( i bought two sizes, 1" and 2" )

2. Aircraft Remover Paint Stripper ( Autozone or Advanced or even walmart carry it )

3. Steel Wool or a Scotchbrite pad ( I used a Scotchbrite, your usual kitchen green kind will work well )

4. Paitience and Determination.

mask the edge of the lip very carefully with the 1" and tape the spokes with the 2"
Be SURE to stick the edges of your tape as this will prove problematic if you leave it loose and the stripper will seep under your tpe

use the 2" to tape around the rim on the tire to protect your rubber from the stripper ( no not the dollar hungry kind ;) )

gently and carefully spray the aircraft remover onto the painted section you are to remove, do small sections at a time and ONLY
I repeat ONLY work the bottom section of the wheel so that it doesnt drip down onto any paint you want to keep.

let it eat the paint and you will see within a minute or so it will start to bubble up and krinkle let it sit till you see no more progress
and then take your scotchbrite or steel wool and gently remove the paint, if you have a section that is more stubborn just re-spray some remover.

after that be sure to rinse very very very well with water so that there is no more stripper left to do damage.

after you are sure you are safe remove the tape and touch up any areas gently with just the scotchbrite,

now from this point you can polish if you decide to but i chose not to as it matches my muffler better.

NOTE: IF YOU GET ON YOUR HANDS ITS NO BIGGIE JUST RINSE THOUROUGHLY WITH WATER!!!

but i reccomend you wear gloves... ( but i didnt ) :D

well here are the pics, let me know what you think... Personally I love it!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Im curious where you got the Icon stickers, I was hoping I'd have some included with my helmet, but was disapointed. :mad:. Also what kind of fender eliminator do you have?? Is that a competiton werkes or a targa?? Bike looks good man !!!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the stickers from motorcycle superstore in 4 different sizes. and i ordered a sheet of the most popular ones as well. most the designs you see on the helmets and such...

and thanks about the eliminator, i acutally made it myself. quite easy with a welder and some scrap metal. ;) alot cheaper too!

Thanks man, i am trying to make it look amazing before i sell it... haha and im doing some graphics soon too. nothing huge but ill save that for a new thread when i get it done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
looks good! another person on a different forum did that too. his bike is green. he was saying that you have to be careful that it doesn't corrode since the aluminum is exposed now. his was starting to spot. just gotta keep it polished and you should be fine.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Looks slick dude, reminds me of the old VFR's. I would have done just the outside lip though, but it's your bike, so don't take this as a critique. It still looks awesome, and I can't wait to see the rear wheel done as well. Will you be clearcoating them after a polish, or are you just going to keep working the oxidation every week or so?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your wonderful comments.

yes felix my bike is coming together and its funny because i intend to sell it next season but cannot stop modifying it in the mean time... haha

and i do intend to just leave it aluminum and i will just keep up with more maintenance. its worth the sex appeal.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes CSBrad you are correct it is a barbed wire plate frame, i picked it up awhile ago for my quad (atv) and never used it so when i got the bike i was like SAWEEEET! haha

again thank you all for your kind words,

last night i decided to start doing a mod that nobody has ever done to the 250 yet.

so while you all rack your heads on what it is, i will be collecting parts for the project.

guess away but im not telling till i get pieces and start the project.... ;D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.