Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SO I was reading on this website about a ride in Oregon that takes you through black lava flow fields!

I live about 3 hours from Bend and I'm wondering what level of riding I should expect to have before I could make this trip? It says the roads are in excellent condition but (even though it doesn't say it explicitly) I feel like the roadway is probably narrow/cliffside. Speed limit is somewhere between 35-45mph which is fine.

I think this would be an awesome day trip after I get some skillz. Just wondering on when you ventured out on your first "long ride" (3 hours there, 45min-1 hour of scenic byway and the trip back) and what tips you gleaned from the experience.

Oh and here are some pictures.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There's some great people on here that are always up for a ride. But there's something to be said for riding solo. One of the best feelings in my humble opinion.

Wow.... great photos btw... looks surreal!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
I started on a 125 and couldn't wait to upgrade which I did after about 3 months. In that time I had not done much more than 1 hour rides around the back roads of home just learning how to shift and move on the bike.
When I bought the 250R I had to travel 4 hrs in the car with a friend who drove it back home. I rode the 250R home the whole 4hrs, and that was on the highway with an average of 100-110kmh speeds. Loved every minute of the ride apart from the boring lack of twisties.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I got my wife on some out-of-town rides, as soon as her '09 was broken in. First couple were about 120 miles each, and by the fifth weekend, she was up to 200 miles, mountain roads, and hairpin turns. :thumb:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I didn't do super long rides in my first season (july-oct) but that was mostly cuz I was working my tail off. I did do a couple 2 hr rides though. I think you are really the only person that can tell when you're ready. Whenever you feel comfortable, go for it! Oh and riding solo is great, though the camaraderie of group rides is an experience for sure.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Cass, can't wait to hear about the trip. It's exciting. Whatever you decided do it confidently and willingly.

:Sent via the NewNinja iPhone App:

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Epic trip for sure!

The real question is: How far can you push without failure? It's not so much if you're ready, because in order to get better, you have to push a bit further than you've gone up to that point.... Knowing when you're about to push too far is the real issue.... The same goes for speed, on the track or the street, etc. How long can you're body go in that position, before it starts getting uncomfortable, sore, broken, fatigued, etc?

I can do 100 miles at a stretch, with 20 min breaks in between, 8 times in a row, with an hour break for lunch in the middle... It took me 60,000 miles to figure that out. I could have probably done more, earlier... I plan on pushing for 1,000 in 24 this coming summer, and then maybe 1,500 in 36 hrs....

How all this yabber apply to you?

These are things to watch for:
- heavy eye lids - you're getting tired. Either you are physically, mentally or emotionally fatigued, or you're mind is bored out of it's mind and sleep is a more entertaining option.... Find the next pull off and walk a while. You're biggest safety feature on the bike is your brain, when that goes, things get dangerous...

- Butt, neck, wrists, palms, ball of your foot, arch of your foot, heel, ankle, hips and back are good indicators of strain/stress.... I have 6 different positions I can rotate myself into on the bike to alleviate pain/pinch points and stretch while I'm riding, so as not to stop.... If something is hurting, it's because it's doing something it's not used to, sometimes it can be harmful. After a few long rides, and some conditioning, it still hurts, you need to look at the issue with more focus, consulting professionals, etc....

Then, on top of this, there is mechanical knowledge of the bike, to fix it on the side of the road if it breaks (or rather, road-side service through insurance, ABATE, AAA, AMA, etc, etc) - somehow to get you home if something goes wrong.

So, what are you to do? Set yourself some goals - 100, 200, 300 mile days, as high as you want to go, and using the above, and/or other criteria, see how you're feeling and such. Back in the day, I didn't think of any of these things. I just jumped on the bike and rode, and figured it out along the way....

Remember, the more you prepare, the less likely you are to encounter an adventure! :)

Safe travels and keep us posted eh? Also, sorry for the book.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.