Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im planning to upgrade my rim to accomodate a 150/60/17 rear tire... My tire choices are 1) Pirelli Diablo, and 2) Bridgestone BT003RS.
I would appreciate it very much if you can help me decide. If I will consider the cost, I would go for the Pirelli Diablo since BT003RS is more expensive. But I have not experienced using these 2 tires, so I cannot say anything about their performance.

I would use them mostly on street(with many corners) and occasional trackdays.

I like the look of both tires also.

So please help me decide.
:confused:
Thanks.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Can't say much about the Diablos.... I have the BT-03's and they stick like glue. But on a daily rider, they are going to wear pretty fast. Some guys at Ninjette, have claimed to only get a few thousand miles of use from a set.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm about to order a Michelin Pilot Power tire in 150/60/17. I know you didn't mention this as one of your options but you should look into it. Everyone I've talked to who's used it says it's amazing!

Only thing being, like KURT said, they will wear pretty fast - like 4-6k miles. But I'd rather have the grip than durability...

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
As JT said, +1 on the Michelin Pilot Powers

Navy, while it is not recommended, a 150 will fit on the standard rim, but Ideally you should upgrade the rear rim to one from the 650R which is about 1" wider than the 250R, that way the tyre won't bulge and you can get more use out of the tread.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm about to order a Michelin Pilot Power tire in 150/60/17. I know you didn't mention this as one of your options but you should look into it. Everyone I've talked to who's used it says it's amazing!

Only thing being, like KURT said, they will wear pretty fast - like 4-6k miles. But I'd rather have the grip than durability...
Thanks. I did not mention Michelin Pilot because its not available here. The only available for that size here are Pirelli Diablo and BT003RS. I would choose grip also over mileage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pirelli Diablo or BT003RS, or Metz M3

Hi Guys,

Just found out that Metzeler Sportec M3 is also available here for the 150/60/17 size... So my choices now are Pirelli Diablo, Bridgstone BT003RS, or Metz M3... What do you think guys?:confused:

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'll add one point, to my previous reply. I now have 2000 miles on my BT-3's, and they show almost NO wear. But that's just light touring and commuting to work. No track days.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pirelli Diablo or Metz Sportec M3

Hi Guys,

I'll be buying my new set by next week, I've narrowed down my choices to: A) PIRELLI DIABLO or B) METZ SPORTEC M3

150/60/17 and 110/70/17

I cant make up my mind yet... I like the looks of the Diablo, but others are telling me that Metz M3 is of better performance. I plan to use it mostly on streets with spirited riding on twisties and occasional trackdays.

Any input will be greatly apprecciated. I am leaning on getting the Diablo but having second thought since others are telling me that Metz M3 is better?

Thanks.

Note: Bridgestone BT003 and Michelin PP are not available here...

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Havnt had much experence with Metz or Pirelli, but from owning bridgestones i think they are horrendous!

I remember reading about the Diablos before i changed my bike (luckily i didnt have to change the tires before i sold it) they seemed pretty good and great reviews.

Its a shame you cant get the Pilot powers in that size because they are amazing, i use them now.
The dual compound ones are worth the cash...

unless you can get the new pilot pures in that size, because they are even better than the powers.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just found out that Metzeler Sportec M3 is also available here for the 150/60/17 size... So my choices now are Pirelli Diablo, Bridgstone BT003RS, or Metz M3... What do you think guys?:confused:
I would go for a BT003 anytime.So far my all and only favorite is a BT090.With it's racing compound it sticks well to the ground.The drawback?It's lifespand.The 090 will last only around 5000km or 6month whichever comes 1st.
The 003 is a double compound rubber with a side grip compatable to 090 but long milage in the middle.
Rossos are also a good choice.The width of the tires are exactly as states.It will be 150mm on a 150tires.Where on Japanese made once you get 160mm out of 150 tires.This is on a recommanded rims only.
From my experience M3 M5 are SO SO tires.Meant everage.Long life but everage grip.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would go for a BT003 anytime.So far my all and only favorite is a BT090.With it's racing compound it sticks well to the ground.The drawback?It's lifespand.The 090 will last only around 5000km or 6month whichever comes 1st.
The 003 is a double compound rubber with a side grip compatable to 090 but long milage in the middle.
Rossos are also a good choice.The width of the tires are exactly as states.It will be 150mm on a 150tires.Where on Japanese made once you get 160mm out of 150 tires.This is on a recommanded rims only.
From my experience M3 M5 are SO SO tires.Meant everage.Long life but everage grip.
BT003 is not available here, so I narrowed down my choices to Pirelli Diablo or Metz Sportec M3... I am leaning on the Pirelli Diablo unless someone can tell me that the M3 is better.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
No, actually I think you think you are the first to ask the question about the front! I'm sure there is a reason why they don't go to a wider tyre on the front, probably something to do with balance and flickability, but I'm just guessing!!
My 650R has a 120 front, but the rear is a 160 so I can't say too much!!!:D

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Yes, Zandit is correct. The 110 is a bit lighter, easier to turn. a 120 will clear the front, but I think a lot of rider's are also looking for the change in perception to a bigger rear tire, and having a smaller front helps with that. A larger gap between the 110 and 150 than a 120 and 150.... So if you want your 250 to look like a big bike, a 110 and 150 will look just about like a 120 180 combo on a bigger sport bike.... At least to the passerby.... I'm really just shooting in the dark here.. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.