Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brand new 2011 Ninja now with 1000K on it 94octane it seems to be pinging (since new) a little around 3000 rpm when rolling on the throttle and a little less at around 5000RPM.It isnt so loud its obviously pinging as at first I thought it was the luggage key jingling on the ignition switch..Unfortunately its off the road for the season :( the dealer said to run it for the 1000K and see) has any body else heard pinging..I also here a ticking up near the headset bearing ..could it be the Tip over kill switch making that noise..I have had 35+vehicles and this one has the oddest noises..
I also noticed during my season ending wash that the Voltage regulator was hanging by one bolt and the other was sitting loose without the nut(not impressed by that BTW) its possible that was the noise but I doubt it, since it is way back by the rear tire.
Any thoughts of what to look at while I have 5+months of time.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
674 Posts
I wouldn't think it's detonation if you are running 94 octane.

Unless you are using 94 to get away from Ethanol (which I will do if I can't get 87 w/o), it's not necessary and will cost you power, mpg, and money over the manufacturer's recommended octane level.

Might be a vibration or resonance of some kind.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There is also a possibility that you have a slight slide rattle, which can be heard more at idle and tends to go away when throttle is applied.The ticking sound you here near the carbs is normal and can also be amplified by open exhaust and in some cases pod type filters.
Even though we have Keihin carbs this info about slide rattle from Mikuni may help a little since they work similar. [url]http://www.mikuni.com/c-faq.html[/URL]
Also some info from Factory Pro. [url]http://www.factorypro.com/tech/needle_jet_wear.html[/URL]

In the video ( linked below) I start the bike up and let it warm up with no choke, just small throttle inputs.
The bike had been sitting for the last 7 seven days in the garage. The temp in the garage at the time of start up is 79 degrees. The temp outside is 85 degrees. The bike (a 2009) has two shims, snorkel removed, a Pipercross air filter and external oil cooler running 20w 50 Castrol Act*Evo oil and has 17k miles on it. As the camera is placed closer to the engine you can hear ticking noises while the engine is cold. Even as it up warms up the level of the ticking noise really does not change much. Even after a longer ride when the engine is really hot enough for the fan to come on and the tank to start whistling , the level of noise does not change. My bike has sounded pretty much like this since I bought it new off the showroom floor. It runs just a tad bit quieter with the stock filter, snorkel and no shims. Changing the way the air flows in the intake has resulted in the engine’s resonance changing and become a little louder. That has been made evident by the removal of the snorkel, so basically what I am hearing is normal engine noise on a very small, carbureted, thin walled, simple engine with a permanently attached transmission w/ constantly meshed gears mounted to a steel frame with no rubber to dampen vibration or sound. Is it noisy? Yes a little. But it runs great! Hope that helps.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXHL1KXmwKc]Ninja 250 engine sounds - YouTube[/URL]

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Please post a video of your noise, it will be the easiest way to diagnose the issue. Not sure if you're interpreting the sound correctly. If you're interested to see why I say this, check here: Destroying my reputation - ninjette.org

The dude has spend MONTHS and THOUSANDS of dollars trying to eliminate a noise which CAN'T be eliminated....

Kawi's are notoriously rackety and loud about their internal workings, so I wouldn't freak just yet, if I were you.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I can actually hear it come in at 4 seconds Fry. It's cam-chain chatter. I have yet to figure out where it's hitting, but it's the steel cam chain hitting on steel somewhere in the head, and the only place that can be is on the gears or the wrap-around guide on top of the cap-cap cover bolts... Either way, you're fix is your cam-chain tensioner.

If you want to know MUCH more on the subject, check this out: Overview: Jigsaw’s Cam Chain Tensioner « The Dandooligan

but the short and sweet - get an APE manual cam chain tensioner or you'll be working your automatic EVERY oil change....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.