Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about the swingarm clearance, and the overall look of the bike, with the oversize tire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The 250 looks great with a bigger rear tire lord knows I want one on mine when I get it, but from what I read the handling chances for the worst with the larger tire so I will not put one on, as for the clearance 150/60/17 will fit the stock rim and clears the swing arm fine. This is all just from what I have read and such so I might be wrong and someone will correct me :p

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have to say that the 250 wasn't designed for big tires so I wouldn't change it.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Spooph...

Not sure about what was said about the Battlax BT=39's.... a 130mm tire isn't going to be as wide as a 150, no matter what you do to it. A couple good pictures though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You will be amazed Kurt.150 tires on std rim are not wider then BT039 130/70-17.Bt039s in size 130 are extra odinary.The shoulders are curving outword and it make the tire wide.But this is the case only with this make and size of tires.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Kurt,
Depending on the manufacturer it is possible for a 130/70 to look as wide as a 150/70. Key word being 'look'.
The avg. 130 is about 5 inches wide. The avg. 150 is about 6 inches. Very few are close to 7 inches. I have a 130/70 that is 5.59 inches wide. There is still enough clearance away from the swing arm only because I have a smaller rear sprocket which allows the tire to slide back a little further. So is the extra .25 inches of width on each side of the tire (mine) to get it to 6 inches possible? I think it is, but it would probably be too curved, then the sidewall height would be taller.

The BT-39 130/70/17 according to Bridgestone is is 137mm or 5.39 inches wide. The 140/70/17 is 147mm or 5.79 inches wide.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Eric,

In your wider rim write up you have a bridgestone on the new wheel too. Did you run the BT039 on the shorter & wider rims? If that is the case I love the look on the factory wheel, looks respectable.

·
Registered
331 Posts
BigJT said:
Eric,

In your wider rim write up you have a bridgestone on the new wheel too. Did you run the BT039 on the shorter & wider rims? If that is the case I love the look on the factory wheel, looks respectable.
Sorry JT, haven't seen this question.

Yes,I used to run(just for experiencing) Bt 130 on the 4.5" rim.Even tried the 140(as in the pic).It was a failure in both cases.In moderate lean angle the tire run out of rubber and grip.
Now the only tire I'm using is BT090 150/60-17. 3 sets after the writeup to be exact.In the mean time I've done 20 other bikes.All with good results.
And you are right.A 150 tires on wide rim have the same diameter as the original 130 sizes.

I did a write up and reports on most of the bike I modified in our local forum.It's in Thai but hey pic do say alot.Do scroll through all those 6 pages.
http://www.ninja250thailand.com/board/index.php?topic=5561.0

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does a 150/60/17 Bridgestone Battlax BT-090 fit to a 250r without changing anything from the rear? Do I also have to change my front tire? What are the benefits of changing my rear tire into a fatter one?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Does a 150/60/17 Bridgestone Battlax BT-090 fit to a 250r without changing anything from the rear? Do I also have to change my front tire? What are the benefits of changing my rear tire into a fatter one?
The BT-90 will fit on the Ninja 250, but it is recommended you have a bigger rim. The swingarm clearance will be very close depending on your sprocket set up. Going to a 140/70 on a stock rim is a better choice. The only benefit to a bigger tire is a little better stability and traction.

Under no circumstances is it recommended to put a bias-ply on one end and radial on the other end for an extended period of time. Even mixing manufacturers of the same type isn't a great idea. However in extreme emergency cases it may be necessary until a proper replacement can be had.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Blue Ghost said:
The BT-90 will fit on the Ninja 250, but it is recommended you have a bigger rim. The swingarm clearance will be very close depending on your sprocket set up. Going to a 140/70 on a stock rim is a better choice. The only benefit to a bigger tire is a little better stability and traction.

Under no circumstances is it recommended to put a bias-ply on one end and radial on the other end for an extended period of time. Even mixing manufacturers of the same type isn't a great idea. However in extreme emergency cases it may be necessary until a proper replacement can be had.

Thanks for the advise, it is really a big help for a novice like me. by the way, are you a filipino? Do you have any idea where to buy tires for my 250r in Manila? I am planning to buy a Bridgestone Battlax Bt-090 150/60/17 and 120/60/17 for my bike.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Thanks for the advise, it is really a big help for a novice like me. by the way, are you a filipino? Do you have any idea where to buy tires for my 250r in Manila? I am planning to buy a Bridgestone Battlax Bt-090 150/60/17 and 120/60/17 for my bike.
Ha Ha! No, I'm not Phillipino, but I've been to Olongapo and Subic Bay before. That was a loong time ago though.

You may be able to find a Bridgestone dealer/distributor near you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Blue Ghost said:
Ha Ha! No, I'm not Phillipino, but I've been to Olongapo and Subic Bay before. That was a loong time ago though.

You may be able to find a Bridgestone dealer/distributor near you.

Hahaha sorry! I thought you are a Filipino too. You've been to olongapo and subic before? I'm guessing you are a soldier. Are you? Thanks for the advise again. Imagine a non-Filipino advising a Filipino where to buy tires in the philippines! Haha thanks

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hahaha sorry! I thought you are a Filipino too. You've been to olongapo and subic before? I'm guessing you are a soldier. Are you? Thanks for the advise again. Imagine a non-Filipino advising a Filipino where to buy tires in the philippines! Haha thanks
Marine disabled vet.

and your welcome!
:thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts