Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think everybody knows that one of the greatest dangers of riding a motorcycle in traffic is not being seen by other drivers. Visibility of you and your bike can make you better off where safety is concerned. The #1 excuse for most car vs motorcycle accidents is "I didn't see the motorcycle". So, one effective way for other vehicles to notice you is to make yourself more visible.

One of the easiest and cheapest upgrades you can do is change out the stock light bulbs. Don't get me wrong the stock lights are just fine...for some. But if you want to make a difference in seeing and being seen, then this is the ticket, without the complexity and potential unreliabilty of some aftermarket HID lights. Especially good if you want your bike to remain stock.

I replaced the stock H7 bulbs with Philips Motovision Bulbs. These are designed specifically for motorcycles. The light beam goes out further and is much brighter than stock. There is a very slight orange glow in the reflector, but you have to be on the right angle to see. It also shows on the ground at the trailing edge of the light beam closer to the bike. I've been using these lights for a while and enjoy them a lot.

Here is what the Phillips Motovision bulbs look like on high beam during the day shining into a camera lens.

N250F2011DG09 - YouTube

·
Registered
9,088 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've replaced one bulb in a little over 3 years (I have two). My bike is 4 yrs old and has over 22k miles. Keep in mind they burn/stay on more than 3-4 times longer than my car's bulbs do.

It's a good bulb, that has good reviews in the motorcycle community.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Blue Ghost said:
They are not labeled halogens (more than likely they are) and they definitely are not HID.
I was just wondering because I was debating whether I may put HIDs in mine. I just don't know where I'd put the ballast. I am looking for more of a whitish/blue colored light. I have 6000k HIDs in my car and the are the best headlights I have ever have. Halogens just don't even compare IMO.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I was just wondering because I was debating whether I may put HIDs in mine. I just don't know where I'd put the ballast. I am looking for more of a whitish/blue colored light. I have 6000k HIDs in my car and the are the best headlights I have ever have. Halogens just don't even compare IMO.
Most of my riding is during the day and as you can see from the video they are plenty bright. If I ride at night it's only for a short duration and most times there are so many other lights, there's no need for 6000k HIDs on a motorcycle. I have a much closer, clearer and unobstructed view of the road on a bike, than I do in a car. The headlight is only 1-2 feet in front of me compared to 6-8 feet in a car. The light beam is just as long.

I used these bulbs on the whole stretch of the Dragon at night on high and low beam. They did a great job lighting up the mountains and plenty far. If you've ever been on the Dragon or any mountains at night when the leaves are on the trees, it's pitch black. To me they are way better than any stock bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
so... i've been reading that some people ride with highbeams on during the day. should i do this? there are some that say it's illegal, but if the benefit is huge, then i don't care whether or not it's illegal.

also, is there a low beam and a high beam bulb/is it a set? i'm definitely interested. Also looking into getting some internal LED's for when i ride at night, but i'm waiting until i get the chance to have my left fairing shopped up. i dropped my bike not long after i got it, and i need to have the socket for it fixed by hopefully a body shop. the fairing by itself costs 500 :eek:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so... i've been reading that some people ride with highbeams on during the day. should i do this? there are some that say it's illegal, but if the benefit is huge, then i don't care whether or not it's illegal.

also, is there a low beam and a high beam bulb/is it a set? i'm definitely interested. Also looking into getting some internal LED's for when i ride at night, but i'm waiting until i get the chance to have my left fairing shopped up. i dropped my bike not long after i got it, and i need to have the socket for it fixed by hopefully a body shop. the fairing by itself costs 500 :eek:
The MSF teaches about motorcycle conspicuity. One of the references they refer to is the "Hurt Report of 1981" , that states "Using the high beam of a motorcycle’s headlight during the day also helps to prevent violations of the motorcyclist’s right-of-way ".

NHSTA has also done a study on Motorcycle Conspicuity and The Effect of Auxiliary Forward Lighting. In short the study suggests that enhancing the forward lighting on motorcycles during the daytime may be effective at reducing the probability that drivers will turn in front of the motorcycle with an unsafe short safety margin.It also suggests that the conspicuity of the motorcycle as measured by participants’ looking behavior was increased by the use of modulated high beam headlamps.

Most LEOs will probably not hassle you over high beam lights during the day. Of course at night, laws on the use of high beam lights when approaching oncoming traffic would apply.

The Philips Motovision Bulbs are sold each. They are single filaments bulbs one for hi beam, one for low. The bikes reflectors are pre-angled for the purpose of aiming the light beam.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts