Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO-

I decided I was going to try and repaint my two fairings as best as I could with rattle can- i wasn't expecting anything perfect, but I am looking for improvements before it gets too cold to handle!

What I have done:

1) Sanded down with a Fine-Medium to rid myself of all deep scratches and bruises- worked wonderfully.

2) After a thorough rinsing and wipe down with a dupli-color mineral oil cloth, I put on three light coats of dupli-color sandable primer. This stuff is meant to fill in any small blemishes or scratches, which it did wonderfully.

3) Used a 400 grit sandpaper (wet) to feather up the new primer. Some of the scratches seem to be visible, but not to the touch at all. I was happy, so I rinsed, dupli-color prep wiped it, and went forward.

4) Put on a total of three coats of my base coat, Dupli-color high gloss black acrylic enamel. (two light coats, one medium wet coat per directions, about fifteen minutes apart, also per directions)

5) Sprayed on two light coats and one medium wet coat of my dupli-color acrylic enamel top clear coat- less than an hour after my base coat, per directions.

Tucked them away in a place that stayed a constant 70-ish degrees for the day and night, 24 hours.

I now have a pretty much 'finished' product, besides the 'finishing'! I have used 1000 grit and gently wet sanded, and than moved up to a 1500 grit mirror paper and wetsanded as well. Both made it a hell of a lot more 'even' looking and smoother, but the deeper shine/glossy look I am looking for is still not quite there. What do I need to do to really bring out the shine? What do people mean when they say to sand and buff to a shine?

And lastly, would a spray of polyurethane be a good choice to go with for an extra layer of beefy protection and thicker clearcoat shine? Any tricks up your sleeves for this poor-mans paint job?

*Again, I know results would be drastically different with proper equipment (large enough air compressor, air gun, etc.) but this is what I have and I am on a tight budget and trying to work with it. I just am really looking for tips to make it look more glossy, or as glossy as possible without spending a bundle.

Thanks!

-Black

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
I'd be starting on the polish by now to get that final shine, sounds like you have done most of the things needed, so start with a medium-fine cutting polish and maybe finish with a super fine polish or wax, see how that works.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be starting on the polish by now to get that final shine, sounds like you have done most of the things needed, so start with a medium-fine cutting polish and maybe finish with a super fine polish or wax, see how that works.
Ah, ok awesome, so now I am looking for rubbing compounds/polish to do the job. Too bad I don't have a rotary polisher :( I do have a dremel though with polishing capabilities.. attachments are so damn expensive though and the dremel 4000 has extremely small bits.

Going to the 24/7 wal-mart to see what I can find as far as a compound followed by a polish.

And X- pictures once it looks good enough to not be laughable by your professional painting skrills! :D

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
MY pro skills are directly related to the painters lack of mechanical skill. I fix his bike he paints mine. I am thinking of doing it myself this time . And you are doing it just like I would.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Blackout, just wax the crap out of it... Mother's makes good stuff. RainX has some good stuff... Although I've found, the more expensive the product, and the less advertisement on the can/bottle, the better it works...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blackout, just wax the crap out of it... Mother's makes good stuff. RainX has some good stuff... Although I've found, the more expensive the product, and the less advertisement on the can/bottle, the better it works...
Thanks guys. I am sure just by your 'hands on' approach to things you could do a kick ass rattle can sand buff job X. What color are you doing for April?

Spooph, I am going to go look for a better polish and wax combo tonite again. Last night I bought turtle wax oxidation/scratch/swirl paste and applied two times, followed by Ice (brand of turtle wax) liquid polish which is on its second coat now.. looks phenomenal when I first put the polish on, but by the time it hazes and I buff it it still is lacking, I KNOW I can get it better than this.. grrr..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.