Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My Ninja Lovers-
How much do you peeps spend on general maint each year...
Most frequent? Besides oil+lube :p
Any common problems? recalls in the last few years?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My 1000 km service was at the dealership, ($160) but I wanted everything checked by a pro. I do my own oil changes now for about $18, every 4,000km. A can of spray shine to make it pretty and maybe half a can (or less) of chain lube for a season ($20?) Insurance is cheap, gas mileage is high. I think you'd be hard pressed to operate a bike as awesome looking and as fun to ride as the Ninja for less money.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I first got mine I got my insurance through Geico and the lady said wow u have a great driving record and because it is a sport's bike your monthly premium is $140 a month. I was like r u sure that is correct cuz it's only 250cc she was like yes but it's a sports bike. I was like damn I have a friend with another company that has a 600 cc bike and he's paying less than half of what u r charging me so thanks but no thanks. Just figured I would throw that out there.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Somehow I missed this thread. Let's see Suit, this is what I do for, what I like to call "running costs"... Keep in mind, this is my own scale, and has nothing to do with the recommended maintenance of the owner's manual. These numbers I've picked from speaking to a lot of racers (cause I don't ride my bike easy, and I'm looking to reach 100K before the engine blows up. :p)

1.) Oil changes, every 1,500 @ $14/change (includes filter) - 10-12 of those a year. ($140-$168)

2.) Brake pads (Front every 6,000 miles, rear every 14,000 miles), $30/pair (3 sets total a year) ($90)

3.) Tires (Rear every 8,000 miles, Front every 12,000 miles), $200/pair ($300 - 1.5 Rear, and 1 Front)

4.) Complete fluids flush (radiator and brake), every 15,000 miles. $15 ($30 for fluids which lasts me 2 years).

5.) Valve adjustment (I do my own, so my only cost is the shims, and the more you buy, the less you have to buy, cause you can re-use them over and over). $6/year.

6.) Sprockets and Chain - Supposed to last over 30K, but I get lazy or busy and don't adjust/lubricate as much as I should, so the last chain (the stock one), lasted me 18K's. ($75/year - sprockets and chain = $150, but I should ride 2 years on a chain).

7.) The biggest cost, FUEL. 12,000 miles/ 55mpg (what can I say, I can't keep my right wrist under control) x $2.90 (estimated yearly average) = $632/year.

8.) Insurance: For me, with 3 bikes and 3 riders on my policy I end up paying $398/year for my ninja - policy is more, but that's for other riders and vehicles...

9.) Gear: I tend to spend about $300/year on new/better gear. Initial investment was off the charts, but I can't remember now.

So, let's add it all up: $1984 in total/year. That's too bad, I'm going to have to spend 1 more $ to make it 1985, the year I was born! :p

Hope this answers some questions, although very, very late...

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
oh yea, oops. 2 cans of lube/year ($30), and spark plugs, if the bike is jetted correctly, I should get about 40K out of them... :p I clean and gap them with every valve adjustment, and up until now they've seemed rock steady!

·
Registered
347 Posts
spooph said:
oh yea, oops. 2 cans of lube/year ($30), and spark plugs, if the bike is jetted correctly, I should get about 40K out of them... :p I clean and gap them with every valve adjustment, and up until now they've seemed rock steady!
One of my spark plugs was really gummed up, said the serviceman at NH Powersports.. was odd because the bike was in for its 1k service, but he said because of the wet, muggy hot conditions it is entirely possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.