Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so...me and the bike went down today doing about 30mph. rush hour traffic heading home. Grabbed too much break while changing lanes and went down. Broke my left arm, got a good sized abrasion on my left knee, and some small stuff on my shoulder and hip too.

The worst on the bike is turn signal, and gear shifter. There are a few good scuffs and a cracked fairing, but other than that its still very rideable. I will get pics up on Tuesday or Wednesday as this weekend is my first anniversary...what a way to celebrate it huh...lol

·
Registered
732 Posts
I guess we all have to pay our dues eventually but sometimes the price tag is a little steep.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Damn! What is it with everyone laying their bikes down?? It's like no-one has been riding for months??!! :p

On a more serious note, I'm sorry to hear that you have gone down(There has to be a Navy joke there somewhere??!!) But it's good that you are able to tell us about it and not someone else!

Heal soon!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
As Zandit said, glad you're typing the message, and not somebody else! Sorry to hear you went down. Glad you're not paralyzed. Say, anything you think could have been done differently to avoid the accident? Keep us posted on your healing. Good thought heading your way!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That's just like a Sailor...going down with the ship! I'm just kiddin' Sorry to hear about your accident. Guess somebody should have warned you about that low country sand. Depending on what Island you're on, it looks just like the road. OK shipmate, heal up fast, get that riders course in, and thank God you're still alive.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ouch man!! Broken bones suck man! but at least it wasn't worse..

On the bright side you'll have more time for the forum, at least for a bit :thumb:

Can I ask to see some pictures of the bike whenever your adrenaline high wears off?

p.s. Isn't this two riders down in the past couple days?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i'm home and looked at the bike. It will go into 1st and neutral and that's it. Due to the accident the caused the shifter to swing around about 180*. Anyone have any ideas on what I should do to fix this? Any ideas on what on the trans could be messed up?

Here's the pics...

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Jeez

For a start I guess get it off and re mount in the correct way, adjust all the links back to how it should be, stick it in a vice and heat it up and bash it with a mallet to get it back in shape.

I don't know how the selector works in these gear boxes, but if its getting 1st and N, thats a positive sign.

Felix

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
ooo, that's rough on the eyes...

um, I certainly hope I'm wrong here, but you might have a broken selector on the drum, or the drum itself might be broken... I'd definitely call insurance and shop for that one...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Did you completely remove the shifter or just unbolt the lever from the frame?
You may need to get the bike in neutral completely the entire shift mechanism, put the pedal back on the frame first, then to the shift lever link on the shaft. Hopefully this will get it as close as possible to the original position. While it is off, look to make sure the shift lever link did not spin around and strip the splines on the shaft. If it did, it could need to be replaced.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the splines are good. i took the shifter off last night and moved it back where it should be and again checked the splines. Maybe i'll run by a shop today and talk to them about it to see what they think.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.