Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking for an inexpensive way to transport my bike on trips where I want to take more than just a change of clothes or two. For instance, my best friend is about 2.5 hours away. Now I have no problem taking just the bike up, but we tend to do a lot of things that would require more cargo, mainly Golf clubs.

I was considering trading my mazda3 in on a small truck, I've considered a small trailer, and then I came across this.

The Original Slick Wheelie | The USA Trailer Store

There are a few different variations out there, but this one is the most "complete" design. So I figured I'd ask what you all thought of it. I can get this and a hitch for my car for under $300 total. Most trailers I've found are double that.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that was just a FAQ they had to address. I can't see why you'd have to remove the chain, simply pop it in neutral and you should be good.... right? But thats why I posted it here, the thoughts and opinions of the "experts" :p

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I think for short trips this makes absolute sense! I wouldn't be worried about the bike coming off, however, on longer trips I wouldn't be able to get the rear-tire wear out of my head.... The rear tire wears faster than the front anyway.... For cruisers it's not that big of a deal, being that they typically run longer-lasting touring rubber, but on something with even the hard stock IRC's I wouldn't want the giant flat spot longer trips would give the back tire....

edit: personally, I'm thinking of getting something of this nature:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Carrier-Hauler-Dirtbike-T-NS-MRC001-DIRTBIKERACKRAMP/dp/B003E2WQE4

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I was thinking about a Versa-Haul. It will hold a bigger bike than a 250 ninja. Toung weight would be about 500 lb. About what a car trailer would be I guess.

The trans is lubed with the engine running. I would remove the chain.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Im thinking that I might be SOL with either option here. My car is lowered 1.75", I don't know that an extra 400lbs on the rear wheels is exactly a good thing for a 150-200 mi trip. I know that the suspension is much stiffer, but it also has less clearance. Im gonna have to figure this one out, maybe hope someone on the mazda forums has a hitch and is lowered...

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
how did you lower the car? Cut the springs? Get shorter springs? Cause I know some shocks have ride-height adjust with some lock rings... Couldn't you just jack the car back up?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shorter, stiffer springs. I was going to do coilovers (wish I would have), but went the inexpensive route. I have struts in the front, shocks in the back, neither are adjustable. I'm also running a much wider tire than stock, had to roll my fenders to avoid rubbing issues. Stock tires are 6.5", Im running an 8".

After consulting some of the members on the mazda board, they are saying anything heavier than a bicycle hitch rack on a lowered 3 is just asking for serious trouble and major tire wear.

I love my car, HOWEVER it is getting up there in mileage. About to 80k, now that's not a lot, but the value of the car right now at that mileage is still pretty decent, so I could still get a good trade in value or private sale price.

All my life I drove a car until it was dead, and then NEEDED a new car. Until I got my 3 it was just junker to junker, I don't want to keep doing that. So it might be a better idea to get a new vehicle for myself now anyway. I'm thinking a Nissan Frontier Crew cab. Small truck, good in the winter, bike fits in the bed (both long bed or with the short bed and bed extender), I keep the four doors I've grown accustom to... So we shall see what happens in the next few weeks here.

All good things must come to an end right? I've enjoyed the car, but I enjoy the bike more. Sacrifices must be made.

Side not, threadjacking my own thread, my bike went into the shop today to be rejet. Will have it back thursday or friday (they are backed up a bit, will work on it tuesday after closing, not open on wednesday).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.