Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know that the oil type is 10w-40... but what about this motorcycle 10w-40 motor oil? Does the conventional oil lubercate the wet clutch like it should?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would say that you should detinitely use motorcycle 10w-40 and not 10w- 40 that is intended for cars or trucks. The motorcycle oil has additives for the wet clutch that regular oil doesn't. It may be a little more expensive, but you only need 2 quarts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Not the best oil Castrol makes for motorcycles. If you like the Castrol brand and on a budget, spend a couple of extra dollars and get the part synthetic Castrol ACT-EVO X-TRA 4T Engine Oil. I've seen good reviews on it.
Because of the Ninjas high revving nature, oil will tend to break down a little faster in this bike. Be prepared to to change oil a little more frequently to maintain peak performance of the bike and the oil.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Whatever oil you use, use a good quality one. Remember all oils break down and lose their viscosity regardless of how much they cost. Ask around. $30+ an oil change adds up. Then again it may not be bad (if you do it yourself) considering what a dealer will hit you up for their shop brand.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I plan on doing all of my servicing. First of all I like doing it, second I am a mechanic for the AF, and third I am in Germany and I will bet my paycheck that no ones service bill will cost as much as mine. I am dealing with the EURO. I wont take it in unless it is something I absolutly can not do. There are at least 300 plus motorcycle riders just on my base alone. And I bet if i run into trouble there will be an ol timer that can set me strait. They have a club called Eifelriders. Feel free to check them out. http://www.eifelriders.com/

·
Registered
256 Posts
i dont know how many miles you have on your bike, but make sure not to use synthetic too soon. wait atleast until 1000 miles, if not a bit more. then switch from dinojuice to syn.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah I will wait till about 1000 miles before I switch. I have been creeping behind the scenes and have read alot of stuff on here and some other sites....Gas for me right now is about $2.40 a gallon. Thank the lord I dont have to buy on the ecomomy, I am the type, when it comes to auto or bike issues to get as much info before I take the plunge.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Good thing for base gas stations. :)
a10forwar,
Use to a long, long time ago, Military members were able to buy certain motorcycles through the base exchange system depending on where you were stationed. So is your bike going to be cheaper or more expensive than buying it in the States? You mentioned American Kawi dealer (in your new member post) so I take it is American priced.

·
Registered
84 Posts
hey fellows whats up everybody. I have done oil change by myself about a week ago. That time my bike had almost 3000 miles on it. I went to the closest dealership and bought semi-synthetic oil called sprectro golden4. Price was 10 bucks for a quart. Did anybody use such brand? How is it? DOes anybody know? So as I mentioned I have changed it by myself. I'm not mechanic I dont know much about it I'm still newbie :) I found video here dont remember the name of the guy he showed and explained everything. HE showed how to clean and lubricate chain how to adjust it and also how to change an oil. He got red ninja ;) Thaks this guy. The only thing what I wonder is that he was talking about some washer that he replaced either... I didnt change any washers. Is that okay? I dont remember what kind of washer but he said he got it from dealer for 2 bucks kind of expansive for such a little thing :D thats his words :D so sorry for such dummy question but I'm just wondering... Once again I'm still newbie :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
i use that oil in my bike it semms to rev quicker which i like and the washer is called a crush washer that is on the drain plug but u dont need to change it everytime maybe like every third and there not that expensive my dealer gives them to me he sells them for 50 cents lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts