Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

Oil level?volume

1542 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  jkv45
Hi everyone! This is my first post here, just found this site and I like it very much. I just bought a 2010 ninja 250 at the beginning of the summer and I'm loving it. Anyways, I have a question about the oil level and/or volume of oil you should use when doing an oil change. I've read that it usually takes 1.7qt of oil if you swap out the oil filter. Well when I did my oil/filter change, I used 2qt and it was just barely at the bottom of the minimum oil level. So my question is: should I add more oil or leave it where it's at?

By the way, I'm using Amsoil synthetic motorcycle 10w-40 if that makes a difference and replaced the filter with a fram ch6012 oil filter.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
To get an accurate check of the level it's best to have the engine fully warm (ride it for a couple minutes if you can - assuming the oil level is somewhere in the safe zone).

Then wait 3 min for the oil to drain back into the sump. With the cycle on the sidestand, go around to the right side and lift it off the stand. Balance it perfectly vertical. Having someone help you makes it easier, but you can do it alone with some practice. Some people like to kneel down and then pull the cycle up off of the stand with their right hand on the throttle and left on the seat. Squeezing the front brake lever at the same time helps to keep the cycle from moving. Just make sure you feel it sitting at the balance point, or the level will be off.

Jay
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.