Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

oil fill cap, oops.

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sharrokor 
#1 ·
Did my first oil change today, everything was fine until my last step > putting new oil in. the oil filler cap was.. stuck. Really badly. I was pretty confused, they are supposed to just come off by hand, right? I didn't know if they pulled out, or had threads or whatever- anyway I assumed it would be safe to try to screw it out, lefty loosey and all that. Anyway, I snapped the s.o.b. right off in engine -_- I dont know if they guy before me cross-threaded it or what or if I'm missing something truly foolish here lol. anyway, luckily the cap left a hole in it that allowed me to put oil in (I was nervous it'd have to sit any length of time with no oil in it at all). regardless, I need to get what's left of the cap out, any tips?

Also I tried searching for a stock filler cap or.. pretty much any filler cap and its not as easy as I thought it would be. what's a good website for stock parts? I'm sorry I'm sure its been posted a thousand times but I can't find it.

thank you!

#2 ·
actually Sharrokor, I think you're in the minority with this problem.... :)

1.) It won't hurt the moto to sit without oil, as long as you don't start it...
2.) I would suggest a box cutter for getting the rest of the old cap out. Just cut down across the threads, and you might be able to get it out... It's not pretty, but it might work. If somebody else has a better idea, please share!
3.) www.bikebandit.comhttp://

Good luck, keep up posted, and PICTURES!

#3 ·
I agree with spooph but get a zippo or bic lighter and heat the metal of the blade and it should cut like butter to get the rest of the cap off.

sharrokor said:
Anyway, I snapped the s.o.b. right off in engine -_-
Does this mean you have pieces of plastic inside your bike? If so try to see if any of the plastic peaces will fall out by removing the bottom filter cap again

#5 ·
Thanks so much.. I got the cap out without any issues. luckily no plastic bits were missing I'm hoping nothing fell into the engine >.> I guess it couldn't hurt to check, but I will inadvertently be checking again when I do another oil change coming out of winter.

and thanks for informing me about oil-less engine- I wonder where I got that idea, hum.

I found the oem oil fill cap on bikebandit, 10$ ish. now that I have both pieces of my original I'm gonna try to superglue it I guess lol. Or maybe that aftermarket filler cap would be good too, I guess. it wouldn't snap off again =p

cheers guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.